Portsmouth - Saturday and Sunday


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Hampshire » Portsmouth
September 1st 2012
Published: September 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

September 1, Saturday - Today I went out to the ferry port and had a look around, and then I went by Charles Dickens birthplace, and then back to the Royal Navy Museum’s. It was a very nice cool day.

The Royal Navy had some modern ships in the harbor. In the old days you could usually tell a ships function by looking at it. Nowadays they look like some kind of futuristic housing.

It was interesting to note that the Navy used to issue 56 pints of beer a week (that’s 8 Pints a day) and 1/2 pint of rum. When you think about it very few people could afford to drink that much if they had to pay for it on shore…..so that may have been the best retention device the navy had !! And I guess it made for a happy crew.

After visiting the Royal Navy Museum I walked over to the Hard Interchange and checked on buses leaving to London on Monday.

http://www.welcometoportsmouth.co.uk/portsmouth%!c(MISSING)oach%!s(MISSING)tation.html



The plan is to take the bus to London Victoria Bus Station and walk over to Victoria Train Station where I will get on the underground. I will take the tube to Hammersmith Station where my hostel is located nearby.

September 2 – Sunday - Sunday was used as a rest and prepare to depart day. I just had a leisurely breakfast at the hostel and then walked along the seaside again enjoying the views and watching the ships come and go.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.1612s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb