Bosham, Chichester and Emsworth


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Hampshire » Emsworth
September 7th 2021
Published: September 8th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Bob planned the day to start with a visit to Hayling Island but after chatting to someone on the campsite we crossed that off the list. They hadn't even bothered to stop... and we changed to Bosham instead. Excellent idea as Bosham was a lovely place to spend a couple of hours. Beautiful houses on the way down to the quay including a stunning thatched cottage. Discovered later that it is right beside the Millstream Hotel which we visited for a Golden Wedding party in 1996. Didn't recognize it but can be forgiven as it was quite a while ago.

There are clear signs out in the shallow water at the quay to say that the tide covers the road. We walked along the road at the top of the beach to the marina area at 11.30 and when we went to return the way we had come at 12 the entire road was underwater. There were swans and ducks there instead and they were swimming !

There is a grassy area between the water and the church and this was donated to ensure a clear view from church to the water. Lovely to see. The church was also very pretty and has links back to the Bayeux Tapestry as 'someone important' sailed from Bosham re the Norman Conquest. Whoever, whatever it was an entirely charming place to visit and no hardship at all to return to the car the long way round via the church and not the sea path.

Chichester next stop. No obvious car parks and we did wonder where everyone else had parked but we found a little spot (we only need little ones for Smart Arse). I'm becoming rather pleased that when we were in Cornwall in June I seemed to download a dozen different parking apps to my phone as every carpark there used a different one. Now it is just too easy to pay lots of money via my phone so we can happily park where we want.

Stopped for a lunch at a cafe with outside tables and realised we had come out without masks. So next stop was Boots to buy a packet... at an extortionate price I should add. I usually get them from B&M at 1/5 of the price. We wear masks whenever we feel we need to, it's all about keeping us safe and touch wood, it has worked well so far.

I don't think I had realised that Chichester was a city until Bob pointed me at the cathedral so we did a lovely tour of that. Very high roof and lots of interesting things inside and some glorious windows. The extensive Bishops Garden behind the cloisters were just waiting for us to stroll around and to get a little shade from the exceedingly hot sun. The sky was so blue the camera was in raptures.
Back to the car and we went in search of sea. Not sea really here as the whole coastal area is characterised by lots of inlets, a Ria i think it said somewhere, which puts fingers of water out in all directions looking more like river estuaries than beaches. Even more obviously so at low tide when there is a lot more mud and green stuff than water.

We found our way to Wicar Quay but quickly retreated from there as nowhere to park except along the road and then a pub and a very small slipway for the boats. Back then to the other side of an inlet where we found Chichester Harbour at Itchenor. The houses along the road to the harbour were worth the trip in themselves. Some seriously expensive property in this area and some is stunningly beautiful and chocolate box especially when it includes an interestingly shaped thatched roof.
Lots and lots (and lots) of boats at itchenor and a lot of watery activity. This is a fantastic area for all things water based. We were a little further out to sea on our visit last year when we went to gorgeous West Wittering Beach and then walked along the sand dunes at East Head. I had wondered then where all the boats in the water came from and we found them, at Itchenor.

Back then to our campsite for a quick change and chill before heading out to dinner in Emsworth. We were meeting my cousin Denise there and arrived in time for a stroll round the harbour, where the tide was out so all round was green just waiting to be covered by sea, before dinner at the Blue Bell. It was lovely to catch up again as we had on our visit to Wittering last year.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb