Squirrels, Changing of the Guard and Peppa Pig


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
September 2nd 2017
Published: September 8th 2017
Edit Blog Post

After such a long day and a somewhat decent sleep, it was up for brekkie and off to see London with our own special tour guide, Helen.
Can't believe we are finally here seeing Helen, she really lives way too far away.
Back onto the tube into central London, Phil and Marie were off doing their own sites as they have been here before.
Onto the sights, Westminster Abbey, the cool old phone boxes (which are about to be removed as on some days no one uses them at all) and gold letterboxes.
Turns out if you won a gold medal in the London Olympics or Paralympics a gold letterbox was named after you. Quite cool really.
Onto St James Park and... Squirrels 😊 turns out Amelia has a thing for tails like me. They were adorable although are considered a pest here. Pelicans and swans in the lake and an absolutely beautiful place.
As we exited St James Park we managed to jag the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace. Helen couldn't have timed it better!
Waiting on the side of the road watching the horses Amelia was enthralled. We followed them to the Horses Guard.
Someone clearly had upset the one in charge and although we couldn't hear what he was saying his tone and demeanour gave away his displeasure.
Walking through we saw the changing of the guards. 'Army voice' came to mind.
Off for lunch to a quaint little Italian place. Amelia loved the moustache straws and then onto Hamleys Toy Store.
Cannot believe how mostly uninterested Amelia was. I think Phil and I were more interested and Helen hadn't even heard of it. A very cheap experience all things considered.
Down to look at Big Ben which is currently being refurbished and a walk over Westminster Bridge. The amount of bollards completely understandable given the current events but still quite amazing.
By this time I think Amelia was walked out and it was back to the hotel to collect Phil and Marie and to head to Helen's for a BBQ.
Catching the tube to Tooting (love it) and her gorgeous little flat. Very English.
Amelia had fallen asleep yet again so we sat outside in her garden discussing the world's problems over a beer (yes a cold one).
An very enjoyable evening and a reminder of how much we wished we lived closer.
We decided a taxi was the way to go to get back £25, although our driver nearly cleaned up a pedestrian and another car on the way.
He was originally from Somali and had come to London with his wife as a refugee. He was a school teacher but took work as a driver as he needed work and his qualifications werent recognised. Reminding us again how lucky we really are to live in Australia.
A long but very enjoyable day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.215s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb