London Explorations: Ravens, Crown Jewels, and More


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
October 3rd 2011
Published: July 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Today was a fun, action packed day! We got up at 5:15 am, and by 6 am we were out the door walking to the Ealing Broadway tube station. We picked up a coffee and muffin at Starbucks for breakfast. The coffee we have had so far here in London is crap - very weak. Maybe it's because I've been so used to strong Turkish coffee! We rode to Shepherd's Bush station and then we walked to a hotel very close by where the bus picked us up. The bus drove around for an hour picking up people for various tours before finally dropping us off at a bus station near Victoria Station. We could have just gone to Victoria Station in the first place and saved the hour! We left the bus station about 8:30. We are on a big bus unfortunately, we couldn't find a small group day tour that worked for us. We like our guide, Mark, who was very good at shepherding his large group around.

We started out with a 1/2 hour Thames cruise to Tower Bridge. It was an enjoyable ride and it was nice to see some of the city from the river. Not quite as spectacular as the Bosphorus ferry, but fun nonetheless. We had a tour of the Tower of London, with some free time included. The Tower was founded in the 11th C and was used as a prison for many years, primarily in the 16th and 17th C. The tower complex is surrounded by protective walls and a moat. One of the entrances is through "Traitor's Gate", which I don't think boded well for the person being taken through it! We saw the Crown Jewels, the White Tower, etc. It all was really good and we both enjoyed it a lot. The jewels were pretty amazing, but not as impressive as the Topkapi Treasury. A lot of people were executed at the Tower and it does give you a creepy feeling, being there. We saw the famous Tower ravens.

After exploring the Tower complex we headed to Buckingham Palace. There was no changing of the guard today so we just walked around the area and then into St. James' Park. I had wanted to walk more in the park the other day so I was pleased we could do that today. It was another lovely day today, quite warm and mostly sunny.

Then it was time for lunch, which was included as part of the day tour. We went to "Walker's of Whitehall". I had a cider and a vegetarian pie, which was quite good. Susan had roast beef and Yorkshire pudding and a beer. We then drove around "The City" and to St. Paul's Cathedral. St. Paul's Cathedral dates back to the late 17th C, and was designed by the famous London architect Christopher Wren. Charles and Diana were married at St. Paul's Cathedral (I remember watching the wedding on TV in the middle of the night - because of the time difference). It was pretty impressive inside but unfortunately no photos were allowed, which was annoying. I don't know why they are not allowed, unless it's to force you to buy postcards or a book. I did take several photos surreptitiously, but they aren't very good. We bought a print and a booklet at the gift shop. We went past Westminster Abbey but the tour did not go inside. I guess we will leave that for a future trip.

We were then dropped off at the London Eye. Since we were on the tour we didn't have to stand in the very long line up, which was great. It was a lot of fun and there were amazing views from the capsule. The capsules are quite large, and you go around very slowly, enabling you to enjoy the view as you go. There wasn't a cloud in the sky by that time and it was quite warm in the capsule. After our fun ride we took the tube to Harrod's. What a place (if you've got lots of money to spend!). We saw the Diana-Dodi memorial (it still makes me sad). We saw lots of wonderful looking food in the food hall and we bought a box of chocolates for Carol Ann and family.

We got back to Ealing Broadway about 7 pm. The train coming back was very crowded and HOT. The cars are not air conditioned and by this time it was sweltering in the tube. Carol Ann, Susan and I went to "Pizza on the Green" in Ealing. We shared a salad and a veggie pizza, which were really good.

Well, I'm falling asleep so I'll sign off. Tomorrow is Bath and Stonehenge, can't wait! We will be up at 5:15 again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Traitor's Gate!Traitor's Gate!
Traitor's Gate!

You wouldn't want to be going through this gate.
Lori and Beefeater and tour guideLori and Beefeater and tour guide
Lori and Beefeater and tour guide

I'm wearing my Istanbul t-shirt
Susan at the TowerSusan at the Tower
Susan at the Tower

Nice view from here


5th July 2017

Coffe
I never imagined that there were such beautiful places in London! But now I find coffee funny, you get used to it!
5th July 2017

Coffee
Thanks for your comment Dan. London is pretty amazing!

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 20; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0725s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb