Back in London again!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
June 28th 2015
Published: July 19th 2015
Edit Blog Post

28 June - This time round we had 5 days to spend in London. Amazingly we had struck a heatwave again, the same as in 2013 almost exactly 2 years to the day. Sunday we took it easy, both very tired from a full on week in Russia, met Alister at the Marylebone Fayre in the afternoon and had dinner together, Monday we spent the day at the Tower of London. Hadn't been there for 35 years and enjoyed the experience. Thought the entry price was steep, as most things in London are, but we are both seniors now in UK terms which made it cheaper, and there was such a lot to see, it was well worth it.

Tuesday we decided to have a go at getting into the grounds at Wimbledon for the Tennis. Well, got out there about 10, there was a field full of people in the official 'queue', and they issue you a queue ticket, we were about no. 9800 in the queue - Facing a 6-7 hour wait! Whatever! It was a really hot sunny day, so we bailed, but it was a fascinating spectacle in itself. There was a long row of people
Overview of the "Queue"Overview of the "Queue"Overview of the "Queue"

For Ground tickets at Wimbledon!
already camped out to get tomorrow's tickets - mad dogs and Englishmen! Headed into town to the Natural History Museum instead. Met our old friend Barbara for dinner at an Italian place, was great catching up again.

Wednesday, we moved accommodation to be nearer the airport and the Archives, glad to be out of the pub in Southwark as our room was hot, today was the hottest July day in history in London at 36.7! It was like being in Brisbane, honestly! Spent the afternoon in the cool A/ C of the National Archives doing family research, thank goodness for paper preservation! Went back the next day as well, and managed to track down Blu's first migrant on the Brookes side at last, through the British Army muster rolls. Good way to keep out of the heat! Had dinner at a nice local pub, most of the pubs out of the city have large gardens at the back, great on hot days. Later we met Sarah, a friend from Kate's work, for dinner at a pub in Hampstead Heath. Took a walk up to Parliament Hill after dinner for a great view over London. Tomorrow we pick up our rental car and head south....


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Resident Swans, National  Archives Resident Swans, National  Archives
Resident Swans, National Archives

Amazing building to house records in!


Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0204s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb