Goodbye, Rome


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
August 16th 2014
Published: August 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Hello, London! Well, technically Ascot, but London is the major city and where we'll spend most of the next two days. There's not actually a ton more to tell you here.

Samii and I got up before 6 to head out for our 8:15 flight to London. We met up with the rest of the girls there, who came out of the gate around 12:45. Marie and her mom met us there and drove us out to their house, through some gorgeous London suburbs (including the park and lake where they shot the dementour scene at the end of the third Harry Potter).



We arrived at their house, Greyfriars, and got settled in quickly. Everyone who flew in today was tired; either due to an early morning flight (me and Samii), or a redeye through Reykjavik (everyone else). We explored their yard, and of course jumped on the trampoline and kicked around a soccer ball on their private tennis court. This place is obviously quite nice, not that I'm complaining. Also, the kitchen is huge. Which I love.



After a late lunch, we went into Windsor to visit the town and, of course, take
Columns in WindsorColumns in WindsorColumns in Windsor

Basically an architect tried to tell his client he didn't need central columns, but the client insisted he did, so the architect built them with a gap below the ceiling so they don't support any weight to spite him
a look at the Queen's favorite castle. We found Eton and the castle quickly, walked along the Thames for a bit, then found a place to eat so everyone could get the quintessential fish and chips (except me and Marie, who just weren't feeling it tonight). We came back and just talked for a while, as we had the house to ourselves while Marie's family was at a concert, but now it's time for many of us to crash.



If you've heard the name of this town before, it's likely due to the racetrack, which is arguably the most famous horse racing track in the world. Today they had the Red Bull Air Races going on there, which involve planes. I can't tell you much more, because we didn't go, but use your imagination. Apparently for the main race each year, it's super fancy (guys in tailcoats, girls in dresses and hats, etc.). On the subject of fancy, we also drove through Wentworth, which is where the British PGA Tournament is held each year. Basically, this is quite a nice area. I think this could be a fun couple days!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0205s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb