Last London Day


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
June 3rd 2006
Published: July 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Last London Day

From Russell Square, to the Bristih Museum, to Harrods, then back to the hotel. If you can zoom in, you can see the dome of the British Museum.

Ok, so today was our “take it slow” day, which was a nice change of pace. We woke up this morning around 8:30 am, and showered and got ready to go. No breakfast for me.

We headed first to the British Museum, which is also massive. I think we might have seen less than ½ of it. We did see the Rosetta Stone, and the gigantic Reading Room, and the Egyptian mummies, including a mummified cat. Meow! I also saw the Easter Island heads, reviving some Chilean pride. We didn’t spend too long there, though, and so we headed through Russell Square Gardens and to the metro. Before heading to the metro, we stopped at TESCO once again where I had a Sprite, a KitKat bar, and Prawn Cocktail chips for a breakfast snack (₤1.89). The chips were especially tasty.

Then onto the metro (₤4.90) to head to Harrods, only to find that the Picadilly Line had been closed at the Knightsbridge stop. That means we had to walk from Hyde Park corner to Harrods, which ended up not being so bad. We’ve gotten to be pretty seasoned walkers. Harrods was pretty cool, and of course, massive. They sold
Yay ChileYay ChileYay Chile

stolen heads from Easter Island.
everything under the sun—they had a whole gallery for some gorgeous patio furniture, and another one just for chandeliers. Plus there were little cafés in every corner of the store. We stopped in for some tea time at Café & Creparie. I had some chamomile tea (₤2.45) and a fruit scone with jam and butter (₤3.95), and I brought an extra jelly home for my mum. Then we finished off at Harrods and headed back to the hotel.

Around 5:20, we headed back to the Contiki Basement to check our email. On the way, we ran into Erin, the first of our tourmates that we met this morning at the check-in desk. We headed to the basement, but the wait for a computer was too long for us to use. By that time, it was time for our pre-trip meeting, and so that means…

OUR TOUR BEGINS!



First thing I notice: It’s about 80%!g(MISSING)irls. As we are sitting around, we run into Hillary and Rhiannon, who both seem very nice. The pre-trip meeting wasn’t as exciting as I thought it would be. Basically, they told us what we already knew, then we checked in with our Tour Manager. His name is Brek, and our driver is Pat. Hopefully, they will be really cool. We’ll see…

After the meeting, we headed to the basement again to check in with the emails. Hillary met up with us there. After we were done, Erin and Rhiannon met up and we went to the London Pub for some dinner. I had a burger and fries ₤5.50, and I finally had my cider at the pub! Yes! While at dinner, the (seemingly) only guys on the tour came and joined us at our table. We met Shane, Mick, Baz, Jason, and Ken, who all seemed very cool. Everyone we have met, has been Australian except for Hillary, who is from California. We sat there for about an hour. So now, we’ve got to get ready to go, because wake up is at 5:30 tomorrow.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I set off the an alarm at the British Museum. Adjacent to an exhibit of some really old Mayan tablets, there was a sign that read “This is protected by an electronic beam.” “Hmm, cool,” I thought. “Hey, Charlotte look at this…” and as I go to point to the sign, I accidentally trip the alarm. Whoops. Honest mistake.

Total for the day:₤ 21.79
Total in London: ₤118.78



Advertisement



Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0615s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb