Day 2 - Beijing to London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
July 29th 2011
Published: July 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After some very welcome, comfortable sleep in a real bed we woke, showered, put back on the same clothes from the previous day and made our way down to breakfast with dripping wet hair as there was no hairdryer.
Breakfast was included in our hotel accomodation but it was all a bit heavy for my liking at 8:00am. So I managed to find some toast, super hard butter, spam and egg and made my version of a bacon and egg mcmuffin. It surficed.
We had some time to spare so made our way back to the room to type my blogs and for Mary to send some emails. FYI, a little fact about China, you can't get Facebook here..."What?!" I hear you cry, I know, me too. It's blocked / banned for some reason. So that was poo to discover but at least it gave me a chance to get the blogs done.
We got picked up at a little before 10:00am for our transfer back to the airport for our 10hr and 30minute flight to London, England. We arrived at the airport and we were very impressed. Though we had been there the night before we hadn't got a chance to take it all in, it was more of a 'let's just get to the hotel already' moment. The Beijing International Airport was huge. The roof was super high up and I'm not sure what else really made it so impressive, it just was.
We made our was through immigration really quickly and out into the land of duty free. We quickly bypassed that and made our way to a small lounge area that had a giant tv with the news on. Mary was accessing the net while I was attempting to and watching about the train de-railing tragedy that happened in China just a few days prior. So sad. Anyway, we sat in the lounge area for almost 2hours before making the way to our gate to board. It didn't take too lond before we boarded but we sat on the runway for ages, I got through an entire episode of Glee before we'd even taken off. I had a snooze for a short time before Mary tapped me on the shoulder to say it was time for lunch; on the menu today was chicken and rice again, but a different type to yesterdays, again, it was actually very nice.
I filled in a few more hours watching the movie Invictus starring Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon.. I liked it. Then slept for a bit, then watched The Hangover and by then it was time for dinner (even though technically it was only like 3:00pm London time. Dinner was beef with rice and some other bits and pieces, again, it was very nice.
There was about 3hours of flight time left after dinner so I spent it dozing in and out of sleep. Then finally, after 2 days of travelling we arrived at Heathrow Airport, London. We went through customs, collected our bags and decided instead of spending £18 (about $26.50) on the express train to London we’d jump on the tube (underground) for only £5 (about $7.50).It took probably half an hour longer but it’s not like we really had anywhere to be.
We arrived at the hotel at about 8:15pm and it was still light. We checked-in, had showers and relaxed a little. We decided to take it easy tonight as we’d be out and about every other night and have a day of sightseeing ahead of us tomorrow.
We jumped on the tube and headed for Picadilly Circus. We walked for a little bit, past the new M&Ms store (which we shall return to) then as we were in search of a light dinner a guy asked if we wanted to go into a club called The Penthouse No.1 Leicester Square. So we did. We went up to the 7th level and got a pretty good view of the area. We took some pics then headed back out to the street. The music was good, but we were not out to head out to clubs. We went and had McDonalds for dinner because we had already kind of had dinner on the plane anyway. Once we finished there we took a few more photos before jumping back on the tube to head to Liverpool Street to meet with some of Mary’s friends.
We met up with Mikey, Courtney and Heidi. Lovely people. They took us to a club called Queen of Moxton. It was cool, the music was kind of old skool rnb and soul. We stayed there for a bit then headed in search of the bagel shop they kept going on about. It was called Baigel Bake and apparently had really good bagels, we didn’t see anything too special about them. We then headed back to jump on the bus to head back to the hotel as by this time the tube was no longer running. We walked back in to the hotel at about 2:50am where I am now typing this up. I think we lasted pretty well considering we didn’t get in to London until 6:30pm


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.422s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 19; qc: 81; dbt: 0.1029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb