Unexpected return to London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
July 1st 2011
Published: July 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

As we were winding down in our last week in the South I had a text from Rhonda who was in the National Hospital of Neurology and Neurosurgery having some pretty nasty tests for some potentially serious problems. So I caught the first available train back to London (nine hours by train). It was nice to be in a position to be able to get there relatively quickly unlike Mum and Dad being stuck in New Zealand and unable to do much except wait and worry.

The days in hospital consisted of waiting for the next test or visit from the doctors. Following each activity we’d spend hours analysing each development and coming to our own conclusions and speculations (along with a bit of googling). We also spent ages discussing every little medical thing in our lives looking for common/family history possible symptoms that could help the doctors. There were about six tests scheduled but they kept springing new ones, or new blood tests all the time, so there was no knowing what was coming up, or when. Rhonda wasn’t actually sick with her symptoms so after 5pm (when all tests had finished and the doctors knocked off for the day) we were free to go out for dinner and even a glass of wine. Although we didn’t go far, or stay out long.

It was a huge relief at the end of the week to be given the all clear, and reasonable explanations for everything. There are still a few more tests they need to do, and results from some of the ones that had been done, but they seem confident the worst of the scenarios are now out the window. So I was then able to book my ticket back to rejoin the rest of the family.

The hospital offered good service, with the food menu like a restaurant with a huge selection of entrees, mains and deserts. Just for Rhonda of course, I was left to fend for myself. It was well staffed and I got the feeling cost effectiveness wasn’t their main priority. She could have been in and out in less than two days, but it stretched out over five. She was in a ward of six, but the two closest ladies were quite fun, and there were a lot of jokes with them about the other three (older ones) in the ward. Especially the one who was lapping up the attention and food menu, and we’re sure she faked a collapsing episode to avoid being sent home by another day or so.

Rhonda had been dreading the lumbar puncture especially as the girl opposite had been bought in by ambulance with very bad side effects from one she’d had done as an outpatient. She looked in a very bad way to start with (spinal fluid had all leaked from the hole they’d made and her brain was banging around inside her head with no protection – yuk). It was only at the end of the week she was up to talking and making jokes. But luckily Rhonda’s went smoothly, apart from the bad headaches for a few days after.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.291s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb