London_Tower Bridge


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
February 23rd 2009
Published: February 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi ...

Some interesting pictures of my next stop ....The Tower Bridge.

Against the grey clouds, this was an awesome sight to catch. My bus dropped me. I bought a ticket at the counter and took a 1hr ride to experience the Thames.

On the way to the bridge, you encounter the 'Tower'. The castle is set amidst the best manicured lawns and rose gardens.

The Tower:
The Tower is located in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, at the eastern boundary of the City of London financial district, adjacent to the River Thames and Tower Bridge. Between the river and the Tower is Tower Wharf, a freely accessible walkway with views of the river, tower and bridge, together with HMS Belfast and London City Hall on the opposite bank.

The White Tower and courtyard Norman chapel inside the White TowerAt the centre of the Tower of London stands the Norman White Tower built in 1078 by William the Conqueror (reigned 1066-87) inside the southeast angle of the city walls, adjacent to the Thames. This was as much to protect the Normans from the people of the City of London as to protect London from outside invaders. William appointed Gundulf, Bishop of Rochester, as the architect. Fine Caen stone, imported from France, was used for the corners of the building and as door and window dressings, though Kentish ragstone was used for the bulk of the edifice. According to legend the mortar used in its construction was tempered by the blood of beasts. Another legend ascribed the Tower not to William but to the Romans. William Shakespeare in his play Richard III stated that it was built by Julius Caesar.

The White Tower is 90 feet (27 m) high and the walls vary from 15 feet (4.5 m) thick at the base to almost 11 feet (3.3 m) in the upper parts. Above the battlements rise four turrets; three of them are square, but the one on the northeast is circular, in order to accommodate a spiral staircase. This turret was briefly used as the first royal observatory in the reign of Charles II. Completing the defences to the south of the Tower was the bailey.
...................................

The Tower Bridge:
Tower Bridge was completed in 1894, after eight years of construction. However, many people don't realise why it was even built in the first place, or why it is so different from London's other bridges. The information below will fill you in on some of Tower Bridge's fascinating history.

Originally, London Bridge was the only crossing over the Thames. As London grew, so more bridges were added, but these were all to the west of London Bridge, since the area east of London Bridge had become a busy port. In the 19th century, the east end of London became so densely populated that public pressure mounted for a bridge to the east of London Bridge, as journeys for pedestrians and vehicles were being delayed literally by hours.
Finally in 1876, the City of London Corporation, who were responsible for that part of the Thames, decided that the problem could be put off no longer.
It took eight years, five major contractors and the relentless labour of 432 construction workers to build Tower Bridge.
Two massive piers had to be sunk into the river bed to support the construction, over 11,000 tons of steel provided the framework for the Towers and Walkways. This was then clad in Cornish granite and Portland stone, both to protect the underlying steelwork and to give the Bridge a more pleasing appearance.

You can find out more about the building of Tower Bridge and the people involved in its construction when you visit The Tower Bridge Exhibition.
..........................

Towards the entrance of the jetty, is another superb and big souvenir shop. Lots of things to collect. I bought T shirts, magnets, tiny glass tower bridges as souvenirs and a embossed mug. wow !

Seeing the city from the river side was magnificient.....old London with Abbeys/churches and stone walls ...and the modern glass structures. what a contrast !

Byeee....

Do read about the next Big Bus Stop...Madam Tussaud's Museum.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb