Paris... is Sooo Paris


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Wimbledon
July 9th 2007
Published: July 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Greetings all, no news is good news - things have been going well, but as it appears Paris does not have internet cafes either - and even if it did, Bambie would not allow me a minute off to spend time in one.

OK on leaving New York I ventured off to Hamptons Bays with my friends Ken and Judith for 2 days of total relaxation and nuture/nature. They have a beautiful 1919 shingle home on the waterfront - with this lush green lawn (who can remember those!) that they have just finished renovating (clever architect Ken). Jet lag finally caught up with me and I turned into a BLOB - luckily they had nothing more strenous planned than sipping on the odd cocktail and reading books. Judith is the publisher of a book The Secret - which as some of you may know is a world wide success selling some 5 million copies and having been published in some 48 languages! Judith left a copy for me in my room, and I have been slowly dabbling in it and enjoying discussing it with Judith who has a special knowledge of it all. Weather warm and grey - so no surfing on the coast as I'd been hoped.

Ken - all kindness drove me to JFK - and then I was off on te red-eye. Just to prove that The Secret was having a positive effect on me - the plane was 99% full and I had 3 seats to myself and was able to put the ear plugs and mask into place and actually fall asleep for once.

Ah Paris, what can I say - really its just the same as I left it 15 years ago. Cobbled streets - beautiful classical buildings and zillions of people. The 3 days have gone in an absolute whirl. Bambie had arrived before me and was itching at the bit to go off exploring - she is fluent in French and knows Paris well, so it was all very easy - especially with that amazing cob-web of subways. That afternoon we trawled Rue Rivoli and St Honore - just checking on what the sales were about and viewing Colette - the mother of all designer shops (tres disapointing). We fluked on a little bar called le Passage - and had THE most divine small meal - it was only later that we discovered this was one of the most fashionable restaurants in Paris. (Sendersons if that means anything)

Back to the Marais and our hotel - which was quite groovy - teeny and very noisy. Insomnia held me in a strangle hold the next few days - and we missed valuable tourist time so I could sleep in a little. Next day we were off to the Baccarat building - its an 18C mansion that has been redesigned by Phillipe Stark, just a glorious example of extravagance, good design and beautiful beautiful hand-cut glass. They have a restaurant there - and although it was impossible to get into for dinner - we enjoyed a delicate, sumptous lunch there - A once in a life time indulgence, and nice to find something new for Bambie.

We then zoomed off to a completely different part of Paris to look at small interesting galleries, but the Times article on which we based the tour was completely crap and none of the galleries seemed to exist. This however did lead to the discovery of a street called Rue PC Timbaud - which was the most interesting I've been to in Paris. It contained odd interesting shops and cafes, a great cultural mix and a much more real experience. Have kept the name of a lovely little hotel we found here in case anyone id planning a visit. Dinner that night was in a typical French restaurant (rude waitress), lots of cream, cheese, meat, bread and red wine.

Next day - we found some time for a more cultural expedition and started with Notre Dame Cathedral. There was a mass going on and it was very special to listen to the chanting/singing before heading off to the flea markets. Flea markets - well what can I say - junk is junk is junk. There were some divine art deco items and a glorious vintage clothes store where the propieter was dressed in 18th C garb, had the skinniest calves I've ever seen on a man and was clearly channeling well - we think Mozart.

Then we raced back across Paris to view the newish Musee de Quai Branly. It's difficult really to explain its premise - it displays native art and artefacts from the Pacific (including Aus), the Americas and Africa. Yes all plonked in together willy-nilly. All nicely displayed in glass cases, and with the archives on diplay in the centre of the building - a nice touch, but with no continous narrative or chronology - and with this horrible buff-coloured leather clad adobe style wall (seat) meandering its way around the ovoidal space. Blagh. I couldn't find out who designed it - SV can you tell me? There were some nice features - especially the native grasses in the large enclosed area surrounding the building.

Another race accross Paris to the left bank - but unfortunatley we had left our run too late and the shops were closed. We milked the last of the Sunday shops and galleries in the Marais district with afternon tea of crepes and more rude waitresses. Dinner was at an organic vegeatrian cafe and we shared a final cuppa (or cosmo for some) at Georges restaurant atop the Pompadou Centre looking out over the magnificent vista of Paris to the Eiffel Tower Notre Dame and Sacre Coeur. Talk about race around Paris!

And on to London. Caught the Eurostar across and am ensconced in my god-daughter Cailtin's bedroom finally catching up on my messages. Had lunch at Wimbleton Village and sat (almost) beside John Hanna - he's the Scottish actor who was in Four Weddinngs and a Funeral (gay character who gave the eulogy) and Sliding Doors. Silly me could have sat beside him but didn't realise until it was too late and then he started talking to people at the next table. Damn! Oh well Stewart has been holding Ralph Fiennes hostage under the stairs since Sat night party for me - so I have this to look forward to.

Sorry if this is a bore - its going to be my diary. Tonight we have a roast yum and a chance to catch up with other god-daughter Polly and Stew - Bambies husband. Weather grey and raining! Still trying to work out how to put photos on. Max thanks for checking on dad, Clare thanks for walking Barley and Bernii thanks for keeping in touch - Love Deb (with hula-girls on my nails)

Advertisement



10th July 2007

well, all sounds good... makes me want to go to paris again too... the museum was designed by jean nouvel (not one of his best, I think) with australian section designed by cracknell lonergan... take care for the last days talk to you when you get back love sv

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb