Jaipur


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Upminster
November 7th 2006
Published: November 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

In the afternoon we visited the Government Museum which has a large collection of wookwork, jewelry which is based on the beautify Rajasthani and Mughal blend. We saw how the created the beautiful precious stones from raw to the finished piece. We also saw some anazing pieces of jewellery. If I hadnt lost my lottery ticket I certainly would have gone mad in that shop. We also visited the working observatory which holds a showcase of scientific brilliance. This was created by Sawai Jai Sing - the founder of Jaipur. The scientific pieces are all in extra large sizes and is so accurate right down to the very second. We also visited a pure completely made of white marble temple which was buildt by TaTa - the founder of a trucking and car manufacturer and several other manufactuering articles. He is part of one of the world's many rich. There is a stature of him and his wife also carved out of marble outside the temple. No photos allowed inside but of course I managed to sneak a few and Maurice got an earful from the guard hehe... I must also saw this was a piece of beauty.
During the day we had lunch at the Pink city Restuarant and I think I got a bug there. I was terrible ill during the night and Maurice had to call the doctor the following day. They took blood gave me an injection and prescribed medication. I did not want to stay over as I wanted to travel on. We left for Agra on the after of the 5.11.06 instead of the morning the following day. We travelled straight to the Hilton Hotel 5 mins away from the Taj Mahal. I wasnt feeling well at all when I got there and went straight to bed. I was asleep most of the 5 hr journey but Maurice said at times he just turned his head away from looking at the road and said a silent prayer. The road in this country is something of an experience. They have no idea of road order traffic rules and the car can be as broken down as can be but that horn has got to be the best horn in town. I actually think they dont go for driving lessons but they go for horn lessons. Thank goodness Serdev was an excellent driver very careful and cautious and took no risks . It is nothing for them to travell against the on coming traffic if they want to cross the road a few hundred metres down the road!
We got up the following morning early 6am to visit the Taj Mahal. This is the most beautiful piece of building Maurice and I have seen - it is so precise. Built by the Taj to honour his wife who died giving birth to their 14th child. Construction started in 1631 and ended by 1653. 20,000 people were recruited to give shape to this piece of marble. The Taj stands serene and awesome on a raised marble platform by the banks of the Yamuna. Its pure white marble shimmers silver in the sun and moonlight. There was a mist when we arrived and it looked like it was on a cloud. The mist started lifting when we left. It was inlaid with different precious stones. The gardens and the different species of trees was also a sight to remember. Just to add a bit of humour. We had to wear a sock over yr shoes which they supplied. We were walking past this couple - the woman was sitting on the wall and the man was putting his socks on over his shoes in a bending position and he farted as we walked past - well I looked at the woman wanted to laugh but managed to hold my laughter in she said something to the husband who laughed and the guid turned to us by saying "this isnt the place to make such noises at the palace of love" well Maurice and I had such a laugh. Anyway we had breakfast visited a marble factory - one of the government shops again and once yes bought a few pieces of marble - which Maurice did the usual trick bargained stuck to his guns and then started walking out - well the rest you know! Anyway from there we travelled a further 4 hours back to Delhi and caught the plane for Kolkata where Piet and Lindley met us at the airport. It was so good to see them and we have had such a good laugh talking about our travells. Anyway dad and Piet have gone for a swim and I am here taking to you all going for a hairdo soon and then we are all 4 going for a massage and then Margie and husband arrive and then we are off to Nepal tomorrow so hopefully catch up with you all in Nepal. Dont worry I am thinking of you all from time to time and hope you are all well.

Advertisement



7th November 2006

Blimey
Hi Olga and Maurice Blimey, can't believe you have been to so many places already. You sound as if you are having the time of your life. Keep up the good work with the bartering, hope you have left enough room in your luggage. I can imagine you laughing at that poor mans 'wind' problem and the tour guide not being amused ha ha. Take care no more feeling unwell. Enjoy the next bit and keep us informed. Take care, Chris
8th November 2006

De-bug!
Hello you two! Thanks for all your lovely news, my goodness, sounds like you are having the time of your life!So pleased for you! Please just leave the bugs in that country before you come back! Take care, watch what you eat and drink! Lots of love!

Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.075s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb