The View


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Southwark
February 2nd 2013
Published: February 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Back in late Augsut I secured tickets up the Shard, The View, for Scott's birthday for the opening weekend. The first day of opening was Friday 1st Feb, and it wasn't a very nice day. So we were rather pleased to awake to a blue sky and sunshine on Saturday morning. The clouds did start to roll in, however it made for a dramatic sunset of west london and Battersea Power Station which was dripping in flaming light.

The entry all went rather smoothly for the second day of being opened. Only slight hiccup was you couldn't use the E-ticket on your device, they printed the ticket out. There were two lifts up and it was all done rather nicely with murals and videos while you waited and in the lift. Mind you we didn't do any waiting at all. They got the numbers allowed up bang on as it didn't feel too crowded at the top either. You whizz up to floor 68 in no time and then walk up to the indoor viewing area on 69. You can then go up higher to the outdoor viewing area on 72. The views across London are spectacular; the snaking river Thames, looking down on the City, St Pauls, out to the Olympic Park, Houses of Parliament and Wembley arch. We arrived around 3.40pm and left around 5pm, so we managed to catch London in afternoon light, dusk, see the sunset and then watch the lights come on across the city.

All though not exactly cheap at £25 each, well worth the visit ... especially for those that like modern architecture and sensational views.

Photos

Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0708s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb