Visit to Tate Britain


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Pimlico
July 22nd 2013
Published: July 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

We decided to meet up with John & Mary and my parents at Pimlico at 11:00 on 20 June to go to Tate Britain. They felt comfortable to stay in Premier Inn of Stratford. However, they were a little cross that they were unable to see the post offices or post boxes near the hotel and Westfield City. My mother asked me to send the postcard for her son in Japan and I had to go to the post office in Wood Green.



Having approached the destination from Pimlico, we found the statue of Millais, and took the memory photos. I wanted to show the grand façade of the front building of Tate Britain, however, the building work was carried on, and we were directed to enter from the middle of the building.



My mother wanted to see Turner’s paintings, thus, I took my parents to the Clore Gallery. He travelled in Europe extensively and he was strongly inspired by Claude Lorrain. As well as famous masterpieces, there were scores of great landscape paintings with the scenes of interiors of manor houses, country parks, and festivals. There was a room for Constable and Blake’s paintings and sketches in the Clore Gallery.



Afterwards, we took my parents to the gallery rooms of historic paintings. Mark noticed a number of paintings have been replaced with some of the famous paintings. We showed them British masterpieces, e.g. “Lady of Shalott”, “The Saltonshall Family” or “The Cholmondeley sisters”, and portraits of British monarchs.



We were planning to have hot meals for lunch at Tate Britain. Due to the building work, the temporary restaurant has been established on the front yard. The restaurant was quite busy, so we had to sit separately. We had a piece of pork pie with salad.



John & Mary and my parents seemed to be contented with Tate Britain and we decided to continue looking round the gallery. We recommended John & Mary the Clore Gallery. We took my parents to the galleries of modern paintings, and looked at paintings, art works, and sculptures, which were produced from the 1930s to the present time, including Henry Moore sculptures, paintings by Francis Bacon, Lucian Freud, or Damien Hirst. We also saw some peculiar and strange pieces of art work like the glass house displayed with desk and the ashtray full of cigarette butts. We met up with John and Mary at 3 o’clock. John really enjoyed the Blake’s gallery and he found him very genius. My mother quickly looked round the Clore Gallery in the afternoon and bought the book of Turner’s painting collections with English commentary.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 16; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb