Last bit of London... and a bit more


Advertisement
Published: May 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Dan and PhilDan and PhilDan and Phil

Tour le Phil
Back in London we checked out the British Museum on the Friday morning, the place is almost too big to deal with. So overwhelming walking in there, we came up with a strategy to take in Egypt, Greece and Japan. I would highly recommend hanging out here for half a day whenever you get the chance, it is FREE!. I won´t bore you with the details but what I really loved about it was the layers to so many of the exhibits, for example, where it was created, why, how the British came to have an interest or claim over it and how they maintain ownership over the objects in post-colonial times. There were also some brilliant little objects like ceramic south east Asian elephants, made in Japan but intended for the dutch to export back to Europe to sell to wealthy families a couple of hundred years ago.

Friday night involved playing wii and ordering pizza with Dan´s family, kick-arse fun! Thanks Camilla for having us!

Saturday Dan went to meet her mum´s oldest friend and see the place where her mum was born - bleak house, of Dickens fame. She´ll fill you in about it when she see´s you but was a special part of the trip for her that we were relieved came off because the buses and trains didn´t make it look possible for a while. I went into London and saw my brother for the morning. Saturday Night we went to dinner at the Churchill Arms a quirky old English pub - with an adjoining Thai restaurant! We caught up with a lot of friends and had a great night - thanks matty and gab.

Sunday we packed and hung out with Dan´s uncle Phil, who was a good host and looked after us well during our time out of the city. Saw some more parts of the area to do with Dan´s family and got ready to leave out English part of the trip that went way too fast!

Monday didn´t turn out as expected with our flight being cancelled due to the ash and caused a few anxious moments. Easy jet arranged for a hotel for 2 nights and a rescheduled flight to Faro on the weds morning. Five star accommodation is not what we were expecting but got (thanks easyjet haha) we spent the time making contingency plans and waiting to see what happened, a nice relax together that I´m sure we´ll crave when we´re staying in crowded dorms later in the trip.

Wednesday morning came down to whether or not our flight to Portugal went ahead or not, we had booked an extra flight to prague incase because we didnt want to risk being stuck in a hotel with nowhere to see for another few days. The ash cleared up, blew out over the atlantic and we finally borded a flight for Portugal at 6am wednesday!

BG.

PS waking up for the flight at 3am resulted in me aging 10 years by inadvertently leaving the hotel wearing Jeans and Sneakers - picture Jerry Seinfeld season 2. Great times.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.685s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 53; dbt: 0.3144s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb