Three Days in London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » London City
December 4th 2008
Published: December 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We spent the last three days in London, staying in a hotel in Mayfair. On Monday we arrived in London and took a tour around the city on the hop-on op-off bus. We went on a river cruise down the Thames and stopped off at the Tower Bridge and took the elevator to the top for a night-time view of the city lights. That night we went for dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe, which was the first one ever built. It housed heaps of amazing music memorabilia (Prince's ruffle shirt, Scissor Sisters white wedding dress, Madonna's leather jacket...) and there was even a private concert happening upstairs, with stretch hummers all around the block dropping off their guests to the exclusive red carpet event. The bar was incredible, with huge plasmas and a wall that flashed different lights behind the beverages. I had my first cocktail (I was officially 18 in Australia) called 'The Hurricane' and got to keep the glass!



On the second day (which was my official birthday) we had breakfast at the hotel in a really cute typical English breakfast room.



We then went shopping in Oxford, Regent and Bond Street. The main shopping stretch (which is Oxford) is a huge 1.5 miles of shops! My favourites included Selfridges (a hugeee department store), Nike Town, Top Shop (with dedicated floors to accessories, shoes and vintage clothing) and American Apparel. That night we went in a black cab to West End's Victoria Palace to see the musical Billy Elliot. What an amazing show! The young guy who played Billy was such an incredible dancer, my favourite scene was when he danced with an older version of himself and was hoisted across the theatre on wires. The whole production was just incredible and hilarious too. Definitely the best show I've ever seen.



Then on day three we went to Westminster Abbey to see the queen as she travelled to make a speech at Parliment. It was great to see all the guards on their horses as they kept watch and then to actually see the queen meters from us as she drove past in her horse drawn carriage.



We spent the rest of the day looking around the many floors and rooms of the colossal department store, Harrods. You could spend a day in the food halls alone! My favourite floors were the Pet Store and Kids world. The pet floor actually sold real animals (such as chihuahuas and siberian hamsters) and heaps of designer petware and toys (there was a juicy couture stuffed toy for $90!!!). The kids floor was amazing too with Dior, Gucci and Channel for babies and there were young boys walking around in little ralph lauren jumpers! There were so many floors dedicated to woman's fashion alone... many women were browsing the store with small dogs (dressed in designer clothes and diamond studded collars) in their arms!

We then returned back to Shoreham last night. London was such an amazing city! Very busy and fast-paced, but such a great place to explore.






Advertisement



5th December 2008

missing you
Hey jess, im so glad you set this up!! Your first cocktail, wish i was there to celebrate with you, but definitly do something when you get back. Schoolies was good and bad, will tell you all. Missing you darling!!! xx
8th December 2008

SIBERIAN.... HAMSTERS! This made me laugh so much! Siberian = connotations of fierce, rough, deadly, foreign and thus frightening, fang dripping, vunerableness, predator. Hamster = furrrrrrrry, flufffy, all things associated with warmth, cuteness, friendship, possible prey. These hamsters must be so twisted
8th December 2008

i got your card today. i hope you do run into rob or daniel. :) that would be amazing miss youu love you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb