What a Gay Day


Advertisement
Published: July 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Trafalgar Square 8 secs
After a marathon day yesterday, the plan for today was to take it easy and visit a few museums and galleries. However, despite a grim weather forecast of heavy rain and strong winds, the weather turned out to be simply fantastic. This meant an immediate change of plan. It was also Gay Pride Day in London and this meant the students would see an alternative lifestyle and learn that in this world we must be tolerant and accepting of everyone no matter their race, gender or sexuality. As it is very rare that our students in Hong Kong meet anyone who is not Chinese, it has been wonderful for them to meet and interact with Westerners, Africans, Asians, Latinos - in fact people from all corners of the globe. Hopefully this will go someway to breaking down the stereotypes that some people have of others.

Back to the day - we caught our first bus in London and travelled to Waterloo. From there we walked to Trafalgar Square for our first glimpse of the events that would unfold later in the day. After Trafalgar Square it was off to Covent Garden for some shopping, lunch and street entertainment. Then it was back to the Square for some partying. Even as a Londoner I have never been in the fountains at Trafalgar Square, although I know on some occasions such as New Year’s Eve people do climb in. Well in we went along with many others. It was wonderful - check out the photos. Before that we had danced along the streets with a samba band. All great fun. Unlike Hong Kong, the authorities allow music everywhere and close off the roads for events such as today. We were able to walk around the whole of central London free without fear of being bothered by cars or buses - all the major streets had been closed to traffic. Fantastic! We strolled past Piccadilly Circus, along Regent Street, Oxford Street, Dean Street (more dancing to live music in the street) and through Chinatown.

It was a long day but I think a fun one.

And what are our plans for today. Originally it was Brighton but that has been cancelled because of the threatened bad weather. So we might wander around Camden Markets, Primrose Hill and Regents Park before heading off to Madame Tussauds.

Don’t forget to check out the photos on





Additional photos below
Photos: 84, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



6th July 2008

You waking at 0330 UK time surprised me because it was 1030am HK time which you usually have already done millions of school work no matter it is a school day or not. so how's the weather today? When i was on the ferry from Greenwich back to centre of London, the tower bridge was opened as well. Lucky :-)
6th July 2008

What a gay day!!
John, thanks for uploading the gay photos, I mean you all look so cheerful and happy. The weather is perfect. In HK, one day hot and sunny, one day rainy and gloomy. We will use the photos to make a display board. So, thanks. I am kind of moody these days, probably because of the weather. YOu know what, 10 students from our school are shortlisted to be winners of the Snapshot competition. They are going to make a 2 min presentation in the award presentation ceremony. According to Sandra Lam, the consultant of Wiseman, our school will get the Highest Entry Award, which not only counts the number of entries but the overall quality of the entries as well. Happy news, right? Send my kisses to Debbie and Sandra and the lovely students too (not you!!). Enjoy the rest of the trip. One more thing, I really find the journal you prepare terrific. It's so good that we can sell it in the market :-)).
7th July 2008

A beautiful day
We seldom have a chance to play in the fountain in HK. I wish I were there with them. They look so excited! Madame Tussauds in London is a great place to visit. I'm sure they will take loads of photos with the celebrities. Remember to charge the batteries and enjoy your visit!
7th July 2008

we are already doing a display board on the tour, to be finished before S1 registration in a few days' time. So thank you for putting the photos on the blog! BTW, How's Camden Market after the fire earlier this year?
21st July 2008

Gay day.
Wonderful day!! I took a lot of picture with gay men. They are nice'' The Gay Party was conducted in a cordial atmosphere. Had a very very good atmosphere. We can't find it in HK.

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0577s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb