Bouncers - the B's not for brains


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » London City
November 15th 2007
Published: March 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After a few weeks of lying low due to having low funds (rent, bond etc) Nic and I smashed our piggy banks, searched under the couch and not only found enough money to go to the Opshop concert but also a few sweets and crisps. So we wiped them off, ate them for tea (times were tough) and went and met Jaimee and Joel before the concert.

They had stock piled a few jugs of beer so that was a bonus. We had a yarn for a while (mostly about how much Jaimee loves the lead singer of Opshop) before strolling to the concert venue. Seeing as Opshop are a NZ band and not many people from the UK know about them it was a bit of a NZ reunion. You could tell most of them were from NZ due to their moustaches for Movember (For those of you that don't know - a lot of New Zealand men grow a moustache in November for charity, some women do it too - that's not for charity though, that's just have their genes on backwards).

The venue was a good one as it was small but packed out. We caught up with more friends - Jess, Amanda, James and Dot (and later on Dan Fraser who I didn’t even know was in the country) who had arrived early and dominated the comfy couches in the back corner. We sat here for the start of the gig but everyone were up on their feet within no time. Jaimee and her mate Cat were right up the front, no doubt embarrassing themselves. The lead singer has a great voice and had everyone singing along. I think they were quite stoked they got a good turn out as this was their first concert in the UK. They had thought their crowd would be about 10 people. Even if that had eventuated Jaimee and Cat would have made enough noise for about 500.

After a good gig everyone was happy. We grabbed our coats and tried to leave but were told by the doormen that we weren't allowed out; they were only letting out a few people at a time. What the heck? We had no idea what was going on. Was the world to full outside? Did we not have the proper attire for the outside world? Sure I've been on the outside of a bar and pondered these questions but not from the inside. After a while everyone started complaining. Apparently the bouncers (obviously not the sharpest tools in the shed) thought that we were trying to get outside to smoke. Surely when everyone started getting their coats and a huge cue formed at the door they might have put two and two together and realised the concert was over, oh and the fact that the music had finished, idiots.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0351s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb