Gardening at Kew 


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Kew
July 19th 2017
Published: July 27th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Kew GardensKew GardensKew Gardens

Inside the glasshouse
Following last night’s thunderstorm we were hoping for a clear warm day. Unfortunately the day looks as though it will rain at any moment. If we put our activities on hold because of the weather then we wouldn’t do anything. Our plan for today is to visit Kew Gardens. We haven’t been there before.

To get to Kew we take the train. Actually three trains. All trains travel above ground but two are called underground. Quite confusing really. We start with the Metropolitan Underground, change to the Jubilee Underground, and then finally the Overground train. The train journey around London takes about ninety minutes with connections working perfectly. The walk from the station to the Gardens is along a tree lined street with some very nice houses, all of the same design and age. Painters are busy at one. All look well cared for.

Once inside the gardens we walk passed the glasshouse towards the alpine plant section. And yes, the blue gentian is on display. Not quite as vivid as the flowers we discovered in the Dolomites but still a worthy specimen. It was a good chance to get some ideas for home. There was a nice buzz
Kew Gardens Kew Gardens Kew Gardens

Tropical flowers
when we discovered some familiar plants from home such as kowhai, koromiko, coprosma, totara and cabbage trees. A sculpture in the shape of a beehive drew our attention. The sound of bees is used to generate light and sound effects. We need to identify a particular beech tree we have growing in our garden. We now think we have either the common beech or the golden beech tree. Just hope our tree doesn’t reach the size of these trees. A visit to the glasshouse is a must. The tropical plants in full bloom are spectacular. On entering the glass house it takes some time for our glasses to de-fog. The lens on the camera fogs over as well. It has been rather cool outside.

We have enjoyed our visit walking the gardens and admiring the collections of plants that have been accumulated over the past two hundred years or so. The gardeners are working to keep this wonderful collection looking healthy. We have spent several hours in the gardens. It would take a number of visits to view the entire garden.

Our return train journey goes like clock work. Train connections are made with the minimum of waiting
Kew GardensKew GardensKew Gardens

Water lilies
time. Workers are now returning home from work. Trains are becoming crowded. The underground trains that are now travelling above ground are hot and stuffy.

We arrive back at our daughter’s house after a wonderful day out. The weather has been kind, to a point. It has been overcast with a glimmer of sun but no rain. We end the day with a lovely meal.

Tomorrow is another day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Kew GardensKew Gardens
Kew Gardens

Bright and cheerful
Kew GardensKew Gardens
Kew Gardens

Formal gardens by the glasshouse
Kew GardensKew Gardens
Kew Gardens

Inside the beehive
Kew GardensKew Gardens
Kew Gardens

The rockery
Kew GardensKew Gardens
Kew Gardens

The street leading to the gardens.


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb