First Week in London!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Kensington
October 20th 2008
Published: October 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well we made it to London! It's crazy to think that our trip is half way over! But we still have a couple weeks left!

Our flats are huge! Especially compared to the extremely small hostel we had 4 people scrunched into. I'm living with Katie Sloan, 2 girls from my sorority - Vanessa Hart and Britt Zwolfer, and Sarah Miers. We have our own kitchen, 2 bed rooms, and 2 bathrooms. We are living in Kensington. This area is the 3rd wealthiest in London, and the 5th in the world. So I better start looking for a husband 😉 - just kidding dad.

On Saturday and sunday we just relaxed. We went to the grocery store and figured out our way around. Monday we had orientation where we learn about the different things we need to know about living in London. How to use the subway and where we go if we have problems, and we received our ID cards. Then, we had a tour around London. We got to walk around the area, see where classes are, walk by Buchingham palace, see the gardens, Big Ben, and a park. It usually takes us awhile to figure out
London Bridge2!London Bridge2!London Bridge2!

A closer picture of the London Bridge
where everything is. After the tour we went to an Iraqi restaurant. I ordered lamb and it was so delicious! It came on kabobs or skewers and rice. Yumm, it was so delicious.

On Tuesday we started classes. I'm only in one class for the second half of the trip. So I only go to class every day for 1.5 hours, not too bad after going to class for 3-4, sometimes 5 hours a day in Berlin. I have a lot more time to run and enjoy being in London. My sociology class is pretty cool. Our professor sent us out to museum to do a scavenger hunt, and he's sending us out to different areas to observe the cultures and peoples of different neighborhoods.

We went to see a British play called 39 steps. It was so funny! There were 3 male actors and 1 female actress in it, but they all played many different roles. One of the men would switch off between being a man and being a not so attractive woman. It was so funny. It's about a guy that meets a german woman, but she is murdered in front of him after telling
Vanessa and IVanessa and IVanessa and I

Yup - it sure does rain a lot in London!
him that there is a man in scottland that knows about the 39 steps. So he leaves her because he thinks he will be blamed for her murder and goes to find the man in scottland but runs into the police, women, a crazy scottish man and his unloved little wifey, and hotel owners. It's so funny because they play all these characters, at some points one of the guys would hold two different hats and just change his body position because he was the two characters and they were arguing with each other. I laughed so hard.

We also went to tea at a very nice hotel. We all went a sat down. A waitress came down and put a napkin on each of our laps. Then the tea is brought out and poured for us. And then sandwiches are brought out for us. After we drink some tea (with milk and sugar), we just talked and ate sandwiches. And then they brought out cakes for us. And then they brought out scones. And then they brought out more scones and more tea. It was so filling! The tea was delicious and so was the food.

We
katie and I! katie and I! katie and I!

Katie and I were umbrella fighting.. she won
don't go out to eat here on our own, only when it's part of the group plans. We just cook all of our food, because the dollar has been so weak (its getting better, yay!). Tomorrow we are going to Hard Rock Cafe but we are going with a big group of people so we can get a group discount. It's really nice that people speak the language here! It makes everything so much easier! I also made a friend, his name is Rupert. He's a 25 year old Law Student in London.

Well I guess that is it for right now. Soon to come: Paris, France and Rome, Italy!!! MISS YOU!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Big Ben!Big Ben!
Big Ben!

A not so good picture of big ben from the bus... but its there!
Coronation Church Coronation Church
Coronation Church

I think this is where the kings and queens are crowned... i think
A guard!!!A guard!!!
A guard!!!

aparently they dont mind if you take pictures with them
Buchingham PalaceBuchingham Palace
Buchingham Palace

There it is!!!
Prince Albert Monument?Prince Albert Monument?
Prince Albert Monument?

They painted this monument black for awhile during the world wars because it was targeted during bombings
StatueStatue
Statue

by prince albert's monument
Spice Girls!!! + EmilySpice Girls!!! + Emily
Spice Girls!!! + Emily

This is just us being goofy. One night we dressed up like the spice girls, and Emily dressed up in 80s clothes.


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb