Parkland Walk


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Highgate
March 26th 2021
Published: March 26th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Mark took a day off on 24th March. We recently walked on the Parkland Walk Northside between Muswell Hill and Highgate Wood whilst making a complete journey between home and Highgate Wood/Queen’s Wood via Alexandra Park.



On 24th March, we decided to take a bus from Hornsey to Muswell Hill and tube back from Finsbury Park so that we could do a complete journey on Parkland Walk via Highgate Wood.



Parkland Walk is a disused railway route that used to run between Finsbury Park and Alexandra Palace and is currently known as Parkland Walk Local Nature Reserve and supports a remarkable range of habitats and wildlife.



After getting off the bus, we started the course from Muswell Hill. It was great to see surrounding residential areas and London’s skyscrapers beyond; we were able to see skyscrapers around Canary Wharf where Mark’s office stands – he has not commuted there for over a year. He doesn’t miss there as he’s got a nice home office and is able to have dinner at 6 o’clock.



After walking past a couple of bridges, it led us to Cranley Garden exit and we found the entrance for Highgate Wood.



As planned, we visited Highgate Wood to go to the toilet. Ladies toilet was in the course of being bleached; Mark told me two of Gent’s toilets were blocked at that time. We were instructed to use the toilet next to the playground; we were both relieved and felt confident to carry on the walk.



During this winter lockdown I have visited a number of parks in Haringey without using public transport and have been blessed with seasonal buds and scenery and local people and dogs who were walking and running as well as myself. Unfortunately, there have been only 4 operational toilets (it has been very good of Highgate Wood to let their 2 toilets open). I have remembered not to take drinks before going out and while walking.



After eating snacks, we carried on the footpath and left from South exit of Highgate Wood.



Having had a copy of London A-Z published in 2001, we were a little confused with the direction for Parkland Walk Southside. Previously, it started form next library on Shepherd’s Hill, but it has been moved to Holmesdale Road, which was too far from the previous place.



Parkland Walk Southside runs between Highgate and Finsbury Park via Crouch End, Crouch End Hill, and Stroud Green and this course has been taken care of by Local Nature Reserve and has become accessible by a number of entrances. This trekking course offered us peaceful space surrounded by greens and very intriguing features. We found a number of old railway’s remaining such as railway bridges and platforms. These historic buildings were heavily painted with graffiti – some of these looked quite artistic and trendy – but, at the same time, we thought it was a shame that these historic buildings have been vandalized by a certain member of people and it has seemed be out of control. As with Parkland Walk Northside and Highgate Wood, Southside saw a number of walkers, dogs and joggers and cyclists on 24th March. We were blessed with a wide range of wildflowers and shrubs growing along the footpath. The nature reserve footpath led us to the flying bridge to Finsbury Park.



We walked a bit in Finsbury Park and found it quite big. We took the tube
Sensational graffitiSensational graffitiSensational graffiti

These graffiti was everywhere along the railway buildings on the walk
back to Wood Green from Finsbury Park.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Mark standing on Parkland Walk Southside Mark standing on Parkland Walk Southside
Mark standing on Parkland Walk Southside

It was great contrast between a typical British gentleman and sensational art work.
An old tree An old tree
An old tree

These decorations on the old tree have been done by local people - interesting!


27th March 2021

A great and interesting walk
I have enjoyed reading about your Parkland Walk , and I love to see your photos

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb