we are still here!!!!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Hammersmith
September 11th 2007
Published: September 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Us at Notting Hill FestivalUs at Notting Hill FestivalUs at Notting Hill Festival

Apparently there were two million people who attended!!!!
Hi everybody! and no we havent forgotten about you all! it's hard work settling in to a new place - keeps you busy!

SO we have moved into our new flat which is just a couple of streets up from our previous one. It is nice - small, but isnt everything in london small! sinc the last time we wrote we have both just been working and trying to get settled! damian is happy in his job but working horrible long hours and i am really loving my job. also started my studies which has been a lot more difficult than i expected but passed my first exam with a distinction!!!!

we attended the notting hill festival on the last weekend of august. it is supposed to be the biggest street party in europe and what a party it was. we went on the sunday and had such a blast that we decided to go on the monday as well (which was a holiday). It's held every year by the caribbean community in london - so its filled with music, food, noise and more crazy people than you can imagine! There were so many things to see - we took almost 400 pictures in two days!!!! the festival is also a contest of soud systems - there are loads of different companies that build floats and each has a sound system on it with a particular DJ or group and the one is louder than the next. The people are just dancing in the streets between the houses and the carnival goes on the whole day with colouful costumes and dancing and music. Its very festive, and the food is wierd - the staple food being something called jerk chicken - its basically just chicken done on the braai with some sauce called jerk sauce....think its like bbq sauce...and they eat goat curry and dumplings! lovely! and everything you can think of is done to a banana and a coconut, sweet and savoury - you name it! damian was very excited as we got to watch people playing capoeira in the street - they were brilliant and anyone who wanted to could just join in!


i have only been able to include a few pictures from that weekend of course but would have loved to show all of them!

i also got the wonderful opportunity of visiting the Daylesford Organic Farm in the Cotswolds. It is where all the food comes from that we sell in the shop I work in. And what an awesome experience that was. It is about an hour and a half form London by train and is absolutely beautiful. We got a tour of the farm and some lessons in organic farming methods, tours of the bakery and dairy and the opportunity to talk a whole lot of really interesting and passionate people. The company is relaly dedicated to making a ndifference to the environment and the way they do things really is unique. They even have a spa on the farm which has its own resident tibetan monk who teaches the yoga classes! I have also been able to show ust a ew of the very many photos I took there!

Well we are both off for the next two days and will definitely ake advantag of it. damian really needs the rest after all the double shifts he has been working! and on friday we are off to the theatre to watch Stomp in Covent Garden...followed by watching South Africa kick butt in the rugby (which we re planning to do in a South African pub!)

Hope to update you all soon again! and hope you are all doing well! would love to hear from you!

Anja and Damian!


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

cooking up a storm!cooking up a storm!
cooking up a storm!

they were frying bananas (or plantain as they call it) yummy!
us getting into the spirit of things!us getting into the spirit of things!
us getting into the spirit of things!

red stripe - its jamaican beer...and evereyone walks around blowing whistles! one noisy lot!


12th September 2007

fun, fun, fun!!!
Hey you guys, You look like you are having an awesome time up there!! After the theatre youmust come and see us for the second half of the rugby!! we will be at temple tube stop on the district and circle line. not too far from the stand which is where stomp is shown!! Hope to see you then!!! xxxxxx

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb