Settling in....


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Hammersmith
August 13th 2007
Published: August 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Kensington PalaceKensington PalaceKensington Palace

Anja at Kensington Palace gate - almost impossible to take a picture as there are loads of tourists!
Hi to everybody and apologies for taking so long to update our blog.

Since the last time we haven't had much time to do anything other than work. We did have a few days to do some sightseeing though and were lucky to have fantastic weather! So we took advantage and went up the London Eye. It was great and feels like you're in an airoplane - you can see for miles!!!! We also went to Kensington Gardens and palace, Hyde Park, Buckingham Palace, Big Ben and the houses of Parliament.

Also explored Trafalgar Square and found ourselves in the National Gallery (which houses thousands of portraits) but didn't last in there very long.

We ended off with a trip to Westminster Abbey but could only see the outside as we got there about 5 minutes after they closed the doors - so will have to go back there soon!!

Other than a bit of sightseeing we have both been extremely busy - Damian works the most ridiculous hours but is enjoying his job and learning a heck of a lot! I started working at a place called Daylesford Organic in Pimlico. As the name says it
Kensington GardensKensington GardensKensington Gardens

The Italian Fountains in Kensington Gardens.
is an organic food shop an health shop..also has an amazing restuarant - it is in an extremely upmarket area of London and the customers we get there are quite something! Calling them posh would be an understatement.

At the moment I am working in the shop just learning about all the different sections - and finding it extremely interesting as there really is a lot to learn and we will see where it all takes me. It is shift work so the hours are quite flexible which is nice. I have also started instructing spinning classes and am trying my best to keep fit and active.....and of course to avoid the Heathrow injection!!!! I have also started my course at the Institute of Optimum Nutrition in Richmond and am loving it! It is a lot more difficult than I expected and I need to put in a lot of work but I am doing okay! I have decided to buy a bicycle this week and have one on order. It will be my new way to get around because being dependant on the public transport is making me crazy and broke!

We have found a new flat
Beautful gardensBeautful gardensBeautful gardens

This is also taken in the Palace gardens - we sneaked this one s there were signs up saying no pictures - couldn't resist!
to move into at the end of the month - more or less in the same area we are in - a little bit smaller but very decent (and believe me these types are hard to come by in London). So we are not looking forward to moving again but it has to be done!!

Damian has joined a soccer team and plays every Monday. It is with some of the people from his work so even when he is working he gets time off to go and play.

All in all London is treating us well. We have had some lovely weather lately and are finding this city a good one to be in - really full of culture and people from all walks of life!

We hope you are all doing well and would love to hear some news from that side of the world as well!!!!

We have attached some photos from our sightseeing. We have been taking plenty of pictures but have just been able to put a few in here. Hope you enjoy!




Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Speaker's CornerSpeaker's Corner
Speaker's Corner

Damian having his say at Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park!
Buckingham PalaceBuckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace

We couldn't get any closer than this - but at least we managed to get a picture inbetween the hoards of toursists.
Picadilly CircusPicadilly Circus
Picadilly Circus

This place is just far too busy - we took one look and had to get out of there!!
The Lion's at Trafalgar SquareThe Lion's at Trafalgar Square
The Lion's at Trafalgar Square

No sightseeing trip of London is complete without these pictures!
The Lions at Trafalgar SquareThe Lions at Trafalgar Square
The Lions at Trafalgar Square

No sightseeing trip of London is complete without these pictures!
The London EyeThe London Eye
The London Eye

From the banks of the Thames. In the picture is a fisherman there are lots of them who catch eels in the Thames for a living. This guy was particularly friendly and showed us how he catches them - they use raw chicken as bait! hmmmm!
a view from above....a view from above....
a view from above....

we took so many pictures from the top in every direction - thanks to the great weather we had awesome views of every part of this HUGE city!
Big Ben and houses of parliamentBig Ben and houses of parliament
Big Ben and houses of parliament

We took this picture from a distance so we could get in the protestors camping out on the grass in front. Apparently this is normal and they had all sorts of posters up - I think these particular ones were fighting for Palestine!
Westminster AbbeyWestminster Abbey
Westminster Abbey

The main entrance of the Abbey - unfortunately we didn't get to go inside but explored the outside and surrounding gardens.
Snipers!!!!Snipers!!!!
Snipers!!!!

These guys were standing on top of the Aquarium (which is right beside the London Eye)....we also thought they were real!
Delicious!Delicious!
Delicious!

These are sold everywhere around the Thames and are peanuts roasted and coated in melted sugar (very good for the figure!) we went back for more!


14th August 2007

Busy, Busy, Busy!!
Hey you two...WOW you have been busy, i miss you guys loads, will def come and visit you the minute you get a second to spare!!! Its good to hear that you guys are having a good time, so jealous that you actually living in london!! Its good to see that you guys are using your time here productivly...unlike some people i wont mention!! Love you lots, see you soon, xxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb