London Town


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Balham
September 11th 2010
Published: September 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The flight from Korea to London was long and uneventful. Looking down at the little villages in Russia was amazing. The green landscape and winding rivers below made you realize how vast the world really is. By the time we got to Heathrow London we were both knackered. not having slept at all and being up for 20 hrs straight that day really took its toll. The queue in immigration was sooooo long. We thought we'd be there for hours but in reality it was about an hour. We were mixed in with the “foreigners” which were mainly paki's and blackies. There was also a holding section which seemed to be filled with muslims. The immigration official drilled us with questions: How long? Where are you going? Where are you staying? Who are you staying with? (My cousin for a couple of days) What does she do? (Ummm, dont really know) “Well make sure next time you know okay?”, he berated us. I can understand the strictness of it all in this day and age and he was very stern and abrupt but we didn't let it dampen our spirits cos we WERE IN LONDON BABY!!!!! Yeah!!!!

We took an elevator to what we thought was the train station but was in fact the same place we got on. (Put it down to jet lag). Eventually we made it on to the train and somehow managed to get to Euston Square station in which our hotel was literally 5 metres away once we exited the underground. After settling in to our small but comfortable room, we ventured out to the nearest bar, the “Crown and Anchor” where we experienced some local brew and fumbled our way around using their currency. It didn't help that we still had Korean coins on us mixed in with the UK and Aussie currency.

So after a couple of pints we walked back to the hotel and flaked it, absolutely exhausted. Went to bed about 9.30 and we were up at 6am the next day. So much for a sleep in! At reception we booked a sight seeing bus called the “Original Tour”, an old style double decker bus where we sat up the back on the top level, exposed to the english sunshine (a nice 21 degrees). Highly recommend using this bus. It had running commentary and took us past all the sights you would want to see. Lynette and I loved it. We sat back and ran our own commentary dotted with lines like “Cor blimey guvner, did you see that?” After about an hour on the bus we got off at Parliament Square where we took photos of West Minster Abbey (unbelievable) and Big Ben (actually called the Clock Tower, Big Ben is the bell inside). We then got on boat for a cruise down the Thames. I was pleasantly surprised when Netty said we should get a traveller from the boat bar (it was only 11am). So we did and sat up on the open top drinking a beer and looking at all the famous sights including the London Eye, London Bridge, Tower of London, St.Pauls Cathedral etc. We had already booked tickets at our hotel reception for the Eye and St.Pauls but we didnt get there on this day (the tickets last for a week). We spent the next 5 hours at the Tower of London which we didnt know was actually a medieval castle and mini city within the surrounding grounds dating back 1000 yrs in which all of the kings and queens of England resided in(up until 100 yrs ago). This place was truly spectacular, steeped in history and could be the highlight of the entire trip. We spent our time travelling through the castle, walking up and down spiral stairs through towers where tortures took place, kings slept and held council, making world changing decisions, a vault with 2 tonne doors that held the Crown Jewels and armour dating back hundreds of years. We hired a head set that explained what everything was and had been. It was indeed humbling standing in the same room where all the Edwards, Williams and Henry I through to Henry VIII had lived. The way the castle and walls had been shaped through the years was amazing. The actual site was first built on about 40 AD and still has remnants of the original walls to this day.

So, totally exhausted and probably still a bit jet lagged, we headed back to our hotel in Euston where we walked down the street for a curry. A bit different to the Indian back home but it was very nice. You cannot walk 100 metres over here without going past an Indian restaurant. Netty ordered her usual vindaloo and the waiter said “Are you sure? It is very very hot!” But she had it and it wasn't too hot for our Netty with the iron guts.
We passed out early again that night eager for the next day of fun filled activities.

Well it's official! We make a great team. With Net's planning and my logistics coordinating we are an ideal couple to plan and get around foreign places (so far, and with English signs). Today I mastered the underground train system and it truly is a fast and convenient way to get around the city. We went straight to St.Paul's on this morning and gee, you cannot believe how big this building is until you are standing next to it. Unfortunately there were no tours today due to it being a Sunday. Duhh! So we decided to come back tomorrow. We then went to Harrods (or Harolds as I call it much to Net's amusement, she's actually calling it that now by mistake much to her disgust). You'd need a lazy 10 mill to shop at this place. A stereo system there had a price tag of $200,000 AUD!!!! We saw the shrine to Diana and explored about 6 floors. It was funny in the handbag and perfume sections when I realized after looking around, that just like me, I could see half a dozen guys standing with crossed arms and dull expressions on their faces, waiting for their women to finish browsing.

Next stop was Trafalgar Square. We didnt stay long. Took a few photos and then hopped on the train to Baker Street where we had lunch at Weatherspoons. Price of food and drink so far has been pretty good, comparable to Melbourne. The afternoon was spent at Madame Toussauds taking pictures of ourselves with celebrities and world leaders. Some of them look surprisingly real. I was surprsied that Net didn't get a photo with her no.2 man: Robert Pattinson (Edward from Twighlight) but she said he didnt look like he did in real life. We were warned about pick pockets in this place so I was constantly feeling for my wallet in my pocket and whenever you brushed against someone else, both of you would spin around quickly ready to challenge. The dungeon section was hilarious. After walking past dozens of wax models, we would walk past a zombie which would suddenly come to life and scream and lunge at us. I love seeing other people frightened, a hobby from my childhood (sorry Shell). The tour ended with a 4D film of the Marvel Comics superheroes including spiderman, the hulk etc. The 4th dimension was sensation. Fine mists were sprayed on your face, air blown on the back of your neck whenever Spidey spun his web. The floor trembled when the Hulk walked. The back of your seat pushed in to your back whenever the Wolverine spread his hand blades. The entire crowd applauded when the 15 minute film ended. It was something I will never forget and is a glimpse of what future cinema experience will be like.
Later that day we headed off to Clapham where my cousin Amber and her partner Sam lived. Wait until you hear about our 2 nights there.......

Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb