Stow-on-the-Wold


Advertisement
Published: May 26th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We're in town!We're in town!We're in town!

Stocks on the Green?
Stow-on-the-Wold is a small, but well-known, market town set in the Cotswold Hills and near the north-east corner of the English county of Gloucestershire.

Set on a hill top, it stands beside the Roman Fosse Way at its junction with six other roads, and where a settlement has existed since the Iron Age.

Like many of the Cotswold towns and villages, the houses were built with the very distinctive honey colored Cotswold stone from the local quarries. Many of the buildings date back to the 16th century.

Once famous for its sheep market, now famous for its antiques trade. A major battle of the English Civil War was fought here in March 1646.

And since medieval times, the stocks on the green are still used for village wrong doers as we shall see.




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Yes! Stocks on the GreenYes! Stocks on the Green
Yes! Stocks on the Green

After being falsely accused and a lengthy trial by ordeal, Holly is convicted of the crime of being recusant (failing to attend church services) and sent to the town centre stocks to serve time.
Fear not my fair maiden...Fear not my fair maiden...
Fear not my fair maiden...

Sir Alfred from the realm of Cool has come to your rescue, shall we marry? Yes! and we'll live happily everafter.


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb