Bourton-on-the-Hill


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Gloucestershire » Moreton-in-Marsh
November 12th 2010
Published: November 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

One of Moreton-in-Marsh’s neighbouring villages, Bourton-on-the-Hill is accessible by either the bus No.22 (for Chipping Campden) or the walking trail of Gloucester way, which starts from south of Moreton-in-Marsh. The trail goes through the wheat field, woodlands, pasture field on the Gloucester Way, and Water Garden of Sezincote House and stables.

Residential houses are standing on the top of the hill in Bourton-on-the-Hill, as the name suggests. There is a parish church, i.e. St Lawrence Church on the middle of the hilly road. There are several pieces of antique furniture, e.g. 15th century font, the screen with depicts of the ritual ceremony and the container which the clergyman collected the tax from the villagers. Each villager had to give a tenth amount of their annual income to the church in the 15th and 16th centuries.

Descending on the hilly road leads you to the Bourton House Garden on the right hand. The garden is open between Wednesdays and Fridays from the end of May to the end of August. The admission fee is £5. Entrance building was converted from the 17th century barn, and it has tea room, gift shop, and exhibition room of Persian crafts. The garden is situated behind the building. Bourton House Garden was established in the beginning of the 1980s when weeds and trees had overgrown it. However, the garden has been restored with thriving colourful flowers by enthusiastic gardeners. They regularly exchange plants and maintain the borders in the garden. As such, visitors can enjoy looking at various types of flowers and shrubs and garden features - potage garden planted with herbs and vegetables, parterre garden, knot garden, and climbing jasmines, and roses which are covered on the honey coloured buildings, succulents in the pots, evergreen shrubs, topiaries, aquatic plants, knot garden, to name just a few.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 33; dbt: 0.1622s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb