Forest of Dean


Advertisement
Published: May 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

29 May 2008

Hi Folks !

Two shocks today - dry start and … late in the evening managed to get a broadband con while sitting in the tent. Mind I was in the tent because it was tipping it down !!!!!! Although today was dry until mid-evening the light was fairly poor with low cloud until after nine and thereafter a rather watery sky - v poor definition for photos.

So, I did manage to find an attractive part of the FOD. The AONB (Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty) which is the finest part of the Forest effectively straddles the Wye valley so that it can be explored on both sides of the border.

Headed for the extreme south west of the region and parked under the Severn Bridge just outside Chepstow and then followed the Wye Valley on the English side visiting Offa’s Dyke and various view points including Wintours Leap from which there are some excellent views along the river and into Wales. Rather slippery rocks so I was v careful ….. it is not the fall but the sudden stop at the other end …..

Some interesting if not especially attractive villages such as St Briavels, one or two interesting churches, the odd standing stone and various forest views made up the rest of the day.

Back at base I took the opportunity of some late afternoon sun to dry various parts of the tent - then of course it rained. Interesting chat with a couple in a caravan who took early retirement, down sized and are travelling around England. Daft idea !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Into Herefordshire tomorrow although not sure where I will end up tomorrow night … sense of adventure, eh ????

Steve



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0576s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb