Sightseeing in Cheltenham


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Gloucestershire » Cheltenham
July 18th 2011
Published: July 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We had planned doing sightseeing in Cheltenham on 22 June. We found he No. D bus running between the station and the racecourse via the town centre and Pittville Park. Having decided to go to the Pump Room, we took the bus from the station.

As we arrived at Pittville Street, we found the footpath of Honeybourne Railway, which connects from the station and would have led us to where we were if we had taken the left on the T-junction instead of turning right to the town centre.

We soon found the entrance for Pittville Park and followed the footpath for the Pump Room. Quite a few cars were parked around the Pump Room. The building was used as a venue for the antiques auction. Nevertheless, we were able to approach the famous pump and drink the water, and admire Georgian interior of the Community Hall. On 22 June, various types of furniture, collections of toys, ceramics, glassworks, oriental textiles including kimono, ornaments and paintings were displayed. Most of the visitors were wearing suits and smart dresses, whom we believed were the auctioneers and antique experts.

It was sunny and pleasant morning. My mother sketched the Pump Room in the Pittville Park. Afterwards, we walked round the pond, and headed for Holst Birth Place Museum.

After opening the door, we were greeted in Japanese. The receptionists gave us information sheets. I requested one English information sheet for Mark. As we stood in the Music Room, the volunteer guide came and gave us a speech. He explained to us that Gustav Holst, who is famous for composing “The Planet”, was born in 1874 and he lived in that house till the age of 7, and the family moved out of the house at the event of his mother’s death, but he was able to return to Cheltenham and go to the grammar school with the bequest of the family. He continued, “The Holst Birth Place Museum keeps the collections of documents, music instruments, furniture, art work, ceramics in relation to Gustav Holst and his family including the second hand grand piano which Holst bought for himself and used it till the end of his life, original music notes of “The Planets” and the portrait of Mozart whom Holst inspired. We then went upstairs, and looked round the Drawing Room, Victorian bedroom, Nursery on the first and second floor. The volunteer guide showed us the portraits of Gustav’s sister and grandfather and various kitchen and scullery items, e.g. the manual machine to wash and rinse knives, the tool to wash and squeeze clothes and the outside toilet.

We had lunch meal at Mayflower Restaurant so that we could use our time to do packing in the evening. Sadly, Cheltenham Art Gallery was closed due to the refurbishment work. My mother kindly bought a birthday present for Mark at the bookshop in the Beehive Shopping centre. We popped in the Tourist Information Centre. Although it was a bit out of date, my mother got the Japanese guide of Cheltenham. She bought the mat with the picture of Pittville Pump Room, The Promenade, and the Caryatids of Montpellier walk. I also gained the updated map of Cheltenham.

Afterwards, we walked back to the hotel. We bought snacks for our evening meal.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb