Cotswold and Blenheim Palace


Advertisement
Published: June 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Our last day trip outside of London would be to Cotswold and to the Blenheim Palace. This area was equally as beautiful as Bath and the country side of Wales.

In the middle ages, Cotswold was well known throughout Europe for wool. This part of England was ideal for sheep. The land in the Cotswold is the largest in the UK and stretches from Chipping Campden to Bath. Cotswold is also known for limestone and it can vary in color from a honey golden brown to a cream color. There is a row of cottages on Arlington Row which were built about 600 years ago.

Our last stop for the day is Blenheim Palace which is located in the county of Oxfordshire. Blehnheim Palace sits on 2500 acres and is enclosed by a stone wall nine miles long, the palace contains 187 rooms.

The building began around 1705. The palace was built to glorify the great military hero John Churchill. The current occupant, the 11th Duke of Marlborough grew up at Blenheim in the 1930s but still has not visited all of its rooms.

Interestingly enough, Sir Winston Churchill was born at Blenheim Palace on November 30,
Cotswold ArmsCotswold ArmsCotswold Arms

The limestone varies in color. I enjoyed browsing the shops!
1874. He is buried on the grounds.

The Long Library has full length portraits of Queen Anne, King William III and the 1st Duke of Marlborough. The most striking feature of this room is the magnificent Willis organ at the north end.

The Three State Rooms have three apartments interconnecting between the Saloon and Long Library. These three roomes are known as First, Second, and Third State Rooms. In the First State Room there is a display of the written dispatch from the battlefield of Blenheim proclaiming 'a glorious victory' together with the Blenheim Standard; sent as quit-rent to the Sovereign at Windsor each year since the Battle of Blenheim on the battle's anniversary date (13th August).

On one wall The Red Drawing Room features a Reynolds painting of the 4th Duke of Marlborough and his family. This painting is dated around 1778. The other wall is a Van Dyck painting of Lady Killigrew and the Countess of Morton. This room is very stunning and the red is very rich.

The gardens were stunning and probably one of my favorite areas of the palace!

We ended the day by having tea at the palace.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Wine galleryWine gallery
Wine gallery

Each little shop was very different.
InvitingInviting
Inviting

I loved the windows on this shop as well as the flowers surrounding it.
Tick TockTick Tock
Tick Tock

The antique grandfather clocks in this shop were incredible! How I wanted to buy one and ship it home. I've heard how good the antique shops are in England.
PicturesquePicturesque
Picturesque

This river is in the middle of the village.
Wool millWool mill
Wool mill

This was a former mill
Lake around Blenheim PalaceLake around Blenheim Palace
Lake around Blenheim Palace

What a great way to drive home!
Entrance to Blenheim PalaceEntrance to Blenheim Palace
Entrance to Blenheim Palace

These gates are ornate!
GardensGardens
Gardens

Blenheim Palace had many gardens including: The Formal Gardens, The Italian Gardens, The Water Terrace, The Arboretum, The Rose Garden, The Grand Cascade, and the Secret Gardens.
SheepSheep
Sheep

Sheep grazing on the grounds of Blenheim Palace.
The Water TerraceThe Water Terrace
The Water Terrace

Another incredible garden at the palace.
View of the palaceView of the palace
View of the palace

The red vine creeping up the limestone added color to the Formal Gardens.


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb