Finally get home!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Essex » Southend-on-Sea
February 24th 2010
Published: February 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

So Sunday 7th Feb we got up early to leave Phuket, now we hadn't actually planned any transport back to Bangkok as the agency bus ticket prices were ridiculous so we decided to just go to the bus station ourselves and hope for the best, which worked! Got tickets for a 15 hour bus ride to Bangkok for under £10 each! Bus left around lunchtime , journey was ok, air conditioning broke for a while which wasn't pleasant, but we managed to sleep for a few hours before arriving in Bangkok around 3am! Jumped straight into a taxi back to the backpacker district of Ko San Road where we decided to get a hotel room for a few more hours sleep, found one for about £4 a night, was actually one we looked at when we were here before but didn't stay there as it was a gross, but at 4am in the morning, neither of us were particularly fussy!

Monday - our flight wasn't until 9pm so we had our last day to do some shopping! Stayed around Ko San Road shopping all day and have some last Thai food before setting off nice and early to the airport about 5pm. Checking all fine and easy, security fine except Ste trying to walk through with his bag still on his back even though he had some Thai woman saying bag bag, he thought she was saying belt and kept saying I haven't got a belt on....anyway, finally there with some time to spare to do some duty free shopping! We had a four hour flight to Sri Lanka first with a 2 hour break there before getting an 11 hour flight to London Heathrow. Both flights were great, lots of meals, drinks and movies to watch.

Finally, arrived in Heathrow Tuesday 9th Feb around 8.30am to some refreshing cold air 😊 And even a little bit of snow outside.

So that is it, until next time, if there will ever be a next time...


We are now back and settled into my mums house in Southend job hunting. We are both glad to be home back in our normal lives with friends and family and to have some structure and routine. The trip was the most amazing experience and something Im so glad I have finally done, but I think we are both glad we came back when we did. 5 months is a long time to go travelling and even though many people go for longer even years, I think for us it was enough. Who knows if we will do another trip, probably not as long as that and definitely not with a tiny backpack and an even tinier budget. For now though, we are done with travelling, time for the next part of our lives...finding jobs and earning some money again!

Thanks to everyone for reading, I know sometimes it must have been long and tedious but one day I will read all these blogs back and will have these memories forever so I can never forget what an amazing trip we had together.

Lots of Love, for the last time now.
Layla & Ste xxx

Advertisement



25th February 2010

Ah I really enjoyed these blogs I feel a little sad it's come to an end!!! Feel like I've come to the end of a book. BUT glad you both had a fantastic time and came back safe and sound. (As John said "They're lucky to come back alive") LOL.... What is he like ???? Cant wait to see you, will hopefully get down to Southend when the weather picks up!! Spoke to mum last night she told me about the job at Shoebury thats brilliant, Take care, speak to you soon, Love Brenda xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.188s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.1238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb