Lazy Days on the Sunshine Coast


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » East Sussex » Eastbourne
September 4th 2008
Published: September 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Eastbourne AuntiesEastbourne AuntiesEastbourne Aunties

Christine (front) with her 3 paternal aunties from L to R: Gwen Marjorie & Joyce
Shane Summary:

Still in Eastbourne just catching up with aunties & chilling out.

Public Acknowledgement:

Big public thank you to Catherine Thorne & Cath Milner for moving all our furniture into Dana Street. Thanks girls

Apology & Answer:

Forgot to give you the answer to my teaser in the last blog. The other British city that has World Heritage City status is Edinburgh. Interestingly that is under threat according to our tour guide who took us around Edinburgh when we were there. Apparently the local council has made a few rash planning decisions which has now placed that status in jeopardy.

Welcome & Thanks:

To new readers & followers of our trip (Sarah). Thanks for the feedback & messages we get. I must say the Shane Summary is proving quite popular

Visit:

Lauren’s Blog: http://gawnetravelling.blogspot.com/

Claire’s Blog : http://www.clairesblogofhappiness.blogspot.com/

The full version:

Since our last post we have remained in Eastbourne which is located on the south coast of England (on the English Channel. Why isn't it ever called the French Channel?).

Christine has 3 aunties, Joyce, Gwen & Marjory who retired to Eastbourne in the early 1980s.
The Sunshine CoastThe Sunshine CoastThe Sunshine Coast

Looking towards the downs from Wishing Tower Tea Rooms on a summers day in Eastbourne!
At that time Eastbourne was known as Gerry Town or God's Waiting Room ! These days it's a fairly large metropolis and has always been a popular & traditional summer holiday location and known for its warm sunny weather. Hmm, climate change has obviously hit with a vengeance!! It is known & marketed as The Sunshine Coast. I will let you be the judge of that!

Some parts of Eastbourne also bear a striking resemblance to Frankston - namely around the the Station & bus stop with all the ferals that hang around!! All those jokes about telling the difference between Frankston sheilas and others could easily apply to Eastbourne!! You know, how do you tell which bride is from Frankston? She’s the one wearing the white tracky & moccasins. Not a fair perception of either place really.

Also known for the largest white chalk cliff in England - Beachy Head. The area around Beachy Head has been preserved as a down by the foresight of the local fathers who purchased 40 acres in the 1920s to ensure it didn't fall to development and lost to the public. Damn fine decision that one as was the one to
Sunny EastbourneSunny EastbourneSunny Eastbourne

To be fair, we do get some sunshine.
build a pub up there!

One of the nicest tourist drives you can get for price of a bus fare is between Brighton (Gay capital of England according to local advice) & Eastbourne. Just the 12 or 12A Brighton & Hove Bus Co. double decker bus to be treated to a very scenic trip. Brighton is also well worth a visit whether you are gay or not!

We stayed with Aunty Joyce for the 1st week & have rented a house for the 2nd week, which is positioned close to the aunties, Town Centre and Old Town. We have been visiting various previous residences of Christine's maternal great grandparents & father in Old Town.

Another bonus of where we're staying is there are 6 pubs within a 5 minute walk; The Prince Albert, The Lamb, Counting House, Star, The Crown and The Tally Ho! The pick of these being Counting House which dates back to 1577, however, The Lamb dates from 1240 & is one of the oldest houses of entertainment in England.

Favourite Ales:

Doom Bar; Ringwood Best Bitter; Youngs Special Ale; Breakspears Oxford Gold; Smithwicks (Ireland); Tennents Velvet (Scotland); with apologies to many
Beachy HeadBeachy HeadBeachy Head

Beachy Head Light House at the foot of Beachy Head, largest white chalk cliff in England.
others I have had & failed to recall but voted the best I had had to that point!

Other highlights of England:

Shopping at Waitrose Supermarket; the pubs; traditional ales; the public transport available (the cost is a bit exe particularly on the trains but buses & taxi fares are OK); the food; variety of supermarkets - Waitrose, Sainsbury, Tesco, ASDA, Sommerfield, Marks & Spencer.

Now I'm just waffling - If I have to talk about supermarkets being a highlight then I'm struggling so I'm off.

P.S. What about the Saints! Not that I’ve followed closely but a couple of SMS messages alerted me to the finish of the Saints. Cats are ripe for the picking too! What do you reckon Longy & Rod?!





Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Eastbourne to BrightonEastbourne to Brighton
Eastbourne to Brighton

Scene from top deck of bus between Eastbourne & Brighton
Our DigsOur Digs
Our Digs

40 The Goffs, Eastbourne. Our flat is on 2nd floor of main building.
The LambThe Lamb
The Lamb

Building dates to cica 1240 whilst cellar dates to circ a 1170
Counting HouseCounting House
Counting House

This is relatively new compared to The Lamb. Counting House dates from about 1577
Visiting the pastVisiting the past
Visiting the past

Chris outside 31 Central Ave., her dad's, Ray, family home in Eastbourne before moving in 1933
Nosey TrudyNosey Trudy
Nosey Trudy

Trudy is 90! Saw us taking photos at 31 Central Ave & said she was being nosey. Invited us in for coffee.


8th September 2008

So much greenery!
Looks like you are having a great time - very envious of the Guinness v Scotch episode. Hope you're having a great time. Peter and Mauyra Marsh (BTW: I've just changed jobs after 10 years http://www.pamarshandassociates.com.au/ )
11th September 2008

Footy
Ah, goodnight Saints. Did you see how the Pies flogged the Adelaide Crows? You're next.

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb