Brighton - Good Old Sussex By The Sea


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » East Sussex » Brighton
May 5th 2008
Published: May 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Bye, bye, South America, hello England!

It wasn't a bad trip home. No problems leaving Rio despite being 5 days over our tourist visa (no fine, no comment, just an exit stamp!) and a resonable flight to Madrid with Iberia but only a couple of hours sleep. Then another couple of hours with British Airways to Heathrow and great relief to come in at Terminal 1 NOT 5. Our bags were first off for the first time in our lives!!!!

We took the tube (metro, underground, subte, subway) to Victoria then a surface train to Brighton. It was good to be in Sussex by the sea. It was freezing in the evening though as the lead photo shows! We have been very lucky with the weather since we got back and the sun has shone every day. We know it can't last so we make the most of it by getting a walk in every day. Unfortunately in Brighton everyone else does the same!!!

It has been hell shopping for everything we need to replace. Luckily there have been lots of sales and bargains so the credit crunch isn't 100% negative! How do people do that every week?!
Brighton Palace PierBrighton Palace PierBrighton Palace Pier

What a glorious day


The main reason for being in Brighton was the "Flying Squad" reunion. Every year fans of Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club from around the globe gather to spend the weekend with friends and to see the final game of the season. It was wonderful to see all of our friends again and we had a fantastic time. It's a shame we lost 1-0 to Swansea (Champions of Nationwide League One) but after the Maracana, Boca, River, Colo Colo even, it was surprisingly nice to be at Withdean. You can see from the photos it's not exactly an International venue!!

This year we also got to go to a benefit dinner for one of the players. Gary Hart has given ten years of blood, sweat and tears to the Albion and it was only fitting he was given a lavish send off. Sadly he has not been retained by the club but he will always be an Albion legend to us.

We're not missing travelling too much yet, but then we know it's only for 6 weeks. Off now to the Essex coast via Kent as the first part of our nationwide tour of friends and family!
West PierWest PierWest Pier

Nobody in the deckchairs to see the burnt out wreck!
Hope this weather continues!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Naturist BeachNaturist Beach
Naturist Beach

Why anyone would take all of their clothes off on a British beach, I don't know! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!
Champions!Champions!
Champions!

I felt a little sorry for the visiting Swansea fans. What a terrible view!! Still, they are Champions.
Fat Boy SlimFat Boy Slim
Fat Boy Slim

The end of 9 years sponsorship from Skint. But Norman Cook (aka FBS) came to say goodbye.
Oh Gary Hart!Oh Gary Hart!
Oh Gary Hart!

Nice cake, but no contract. Thanks for10 years hard graft Gary.
PanpipesPanpipes
Panpipes

You just can't get away from them can you!
Classic TruckClassic Truck
Classic Truck

If that's your thing. Nice to see red mail boxes again though.
Beach VolleyballBeach Volleyball
Beach Volleyball

Hardly Rio is it!!!!
Tourist TrainTourist Train
Tourist Train

Saves walking along the seafront I suppose.
England!England!
England!

Home again!!


9th May 2008

England!
Welcome home... (I guess). You're so far away.... Glad your trip home was uneventful. Enjoy your stay. Love, Ronnie
10th May 2008

Brighton looks chilly....
but it looks like you're having fun at home. Have fun in Essex.

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0547s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb