The end of Becs and Becs world adventure


Advertisement
Published: March 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The adventure is overThe adventure is overThe adventure is over

Our flagged backpacks
An adventure taking us across 12 countries, hitting 3 continents, 15 daring airplane rides, 6 months backpacking totalling a wopping 29,500 miles has sadly come to the end. 6 months travelling have given us both some unforgettable experiences, friends that we will forever share a bond with because of these experiences and an outlook on life that can only be achieved through the things we have seen and done. Yes I think its fair to say the Becs' have a passion for travelling.

To name all our memorable experiences would take a wee while but it would be an injustice to not mention the likes of the Taj Mahal, The Great Wall of China, Angkor Wat Temples, Franz Josef Glacier, Tongariro Crossing, The Killing Fields, Whitsundays, Fraser Island, Milford Sound, The Kwai Bridge and of course New Year in Sydney and thats just naming a few! The list is endless of incredible moments that will surely never be topped.

We were greeted with many challenges along the way both emotionally and physically that we had to overcome, some more difficult than others. The sheer level of poverty that was witnessed certainly tugged at our heart strings none more so
Going homeGoing homeGoing home

Bec S getting ready for the flight to London
than in India. The sight of a dead man in Vietnam caused by a motor accident was particularly upsetting as were The Killing Fields of Cambodia that silenced Becs and Becs as they reflected on how a genocide could take place no less than 30 years ago but how a country can rise from such a tragic time and come so far, just amazing. Other challenges such as the language barrier faced especially in China, dodgy hostels in particular Hong Kong, bribing Cambodian Officials for a visa, flip flops passing away, theft from europeans, crazy train rides like the one to Beijing and the obvious cultural differences. Without these little hiccoughs travelling just wouldnt have been the same.

Having done so much in just 6 months and seeing things worthy of a lifetime its rather difficult to appreciate everything in such a short space of time. So now that we're back it seems this would be the best time to sit back and take stock of what we have achieved. Things from learning to scuba dive to rafting a 7 metre waterfall, from skydiving to an 18.5km walk, from dodging the hagglers to becoming esteemed hagglers ourselves.

Whilst trying to take in the sheer velocity of everything we have done we have also been trying to fit back in at home. After an emotional greeting at the airport with our families we arrived back at home. For the first few hours it seemed pretty surreal but it didnt take long for us to feel like we had never been away. Could you believe that after 6 months travelling around the world to countries with volcanic activity and cities situated on tectonic plates, our third night back at home we experienced our first ever earthquake...in England, crazy. One request the Becs' had on their return was a Christmas dinner as although we had an amazing Christmas experience in Sydney nothing says Christmas like a traditional roast dinner served up by Becs C's mum, yum yum. Christmas Day also turned out to be Wii tournement day as the Becs' got their second taste of this legendary invention.

An incredible 6 months with no regrets as such, just future goals. Either due to a lack of time or money we were unable to visit Chang Mai (Thailand), Halong Bay (Vietnam), Loas, Ayers Rock and the Northern Territory (Australia) and if
Increasing anticipationIncreasing anticipationIncreasing anticipation

Bec C looking forward to seeing the family/friends
we had our time again, see more of China. Oh well we'll just have to go again.

We would just like to thank everyone who read our blogs and followed us around the world especially those who left us messages which we always loved to get.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.102s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb