Day 24


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » East Riding of Yorkshire » Hull
February 25th 2008
Published: February 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Gday all

Well it's getting close to the end of our holiday now. We leave Hull on Thursday morning our time and drive to London where we are staying at the Thistle Hotel at Heathrow Airport.

So we thought we should actually go into Hull City Centre today to have a look around.

We caught a bus in as apparently the parking is a bit hard in the city.

The first place we stopped was the Tourist Information Bureau where a very helpful bloke pointed us in the right direction.

Right across from there was the Maritime Museum which had some great displays on the whaling and fishing history of Hull.

They built a lot of the world's whale boats here and they had a big fleet themselves.

After a good look around we went to have a look at England's smallest window in what we reckon is the best street name we have ever seen "Land of Green Ginger" weird names they have here.

The window is in The George Hotel which is one of Hull's oldest surviving Public Houses and can be dated back to 1687.

The window was used by a Porter to watch for approaching coaches so as to give immediate attention on arrival.

It really is just the same size as the mortar surrounding the other bricks.

After that we went to visit "The Deep" which is an Aquarium and Geological museum.

When you first enter the display it starts off with the creation of the earth and its continents and takes you through to when animals started roaming the earth.

Some of the fish and other sea creatures they had there were weird.

After a good look around we stopped to watch the divers feed the sharks in the big tank.

They had a couple of "nurse sharks" so called because the sound they make when feeding is the same as a baby nursing, a big potato groper name "Spud", 2 sand tiger sharks, a few stingrays and 2 swordfish...at the moment the swordfish are only young and they are training them to feed in one spot so there is less danger of one of the divers being injured.

Also a wobbygong and heaps of different kinds of fish.

We have noticed the time really flies when looking around these places and by the time we had finished in the aquarium we had been there for nearly 3 hours.

So it was back to the bus stop and home to Aunty Ada's

We are both coming down with colds so with the weather changing for the worse, gale force winds and rain, tomorrow's planned trip to the Eden Prisoner of War Camp has been put off to our next visit hopefully in 4 or 5 years time.

So the next entry might actually be the last one when we get home

Love to all

Mark and Julia.






Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Hull Maritime MuseumHull Maritime Museum
Hull Maritime Museum

This is the skeleton of a 2 year old female southern right whale. I'd really hate to see it when it grew up..
England's smallest windowEngland's smallest window
England's smallest window

Land of Green Ginger..still reckon it would be a great address to have No. 4 Land of Green Ginger, Hull (If you enlarge the photo a bit you can read the blurb)
A bobbyA bobby
A bobby

We hadnt seen any really ptoper bobbies over here so when we saw this bloke we thought we better get picture.
The DeepThe Deep
The Deep

A Sand Tiger Shark
The DeepThe Deep
The Deep

A Nurse shark They are very playful with the divers
The DeepThe Deep
The Deep

Can you find "Nemo"
The DeepThe Deep
The Deep

"Spud" the potato groper
The DeepThe Deep
The Deep

A green moray eel


Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb