Withernsea and Beverley May 10, 2011


Advertisement
Published: May 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Withernsea PierWithernsea PierWithernsea Pier

This is a model of what the pier looked like when it was first built
Gday all
Well the hotel is still having problems with their internet so this is a day late.
Yesterday we picked up Jules' mum Barbara and Aunty Joyce and went for a drive. First stop was Withernsea where one of the attractions is the old pier. The pier started off at 1196 ft but with the rough seas it was a target for disabled boats in 1880 2 vessels hit the pier and and knocked off 200ft of it then after it was rebuilt using timber instead of steel and then storms washed away the repaired bit in 1882 not repaired then but still in use. In 1890 after another ship hit and knocked off half of what was remaining another ship then hit it in 1893 and all that was left was 50 ft after that the council decided to pull it down and now only the gates stand. Since there was not too much else to see there we decided to drive on to Beverley. First stop here was the Rose and Crown pub which has been standing on North Bar Without ( I am really not sure if this is the name of a street, district or whatever)
Withernsea PierWithernsea PierWithernsea Pier

This is a model of what the pier looked like when it was first built
since the mid 1500s. After a bit of deduction I gather it has something to do with it being just outside the gate as you can see in the photos. The meal was delicious.
We then travelled through the town gate and stopped at St Mary's Church not to be confused with Beverley Minster...(private joke...lol) now what a magnificent building this was. The building was started in about 1120 and was continuous until about 1530....now lets here about the problems with builders...lol.
This church was very affected by Oliver Cromwell and the Civil war as all of the brass bound grave markers were taken to be used for weapons and a lot of the decorations had the heads removed.
At the moment the church has no Vicar or caretaker so it was supposed to close about 3pm but a very friendly and informative volunteer took us around.
So it was around 3.30 now and we drove up to Beverley Minster. This was also started in 1100s and it too is a magnificent building as all the photos show.
Today we just had a quiet day while Jules did some ironing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Withernsea PierWithernsea Pier
Withernsea Pier

This is all that is left
Sign on wallSign on wall
Sign on wall

The North Sea is starting to reclaim its land
Julia and JoyceJulia and Joyce
Julia and Joyce

Yes Joyce Jules is taller...lol
St Mary's ChurchSt Mary's Church
St Mary's Church

This font was donated by William Leryffax in 1530. Made of Derbyshire stone and richly decorated.
St Mary's ChurchSt Mary's Church
St Mary's Church

Misericords:- Mercy seats designed so a person could lean on them standing up


Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb