Hiking Hadrian's Wall


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Durham County » Durham
July 8th 2013
Published: July 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Approaching the WallApproaching the WallApproaching the Wall

A lot of sheep along the way
Had a traditional, full English breakfast this morning: egg, fried toast, tomato, mushrooms, sausage, and ham slices. Set me up for the day. Then left Durham with very overcast weather for Hadrian's Wall a bit farther North. After two short trains and a bus, I was dropped off in the nicely named town, Once Brewed (Twice Brewed is just down the road... not kidding) and began hiking up to the wall.

This part of England, the true Borderlands with Scotland, is extremely beautiful. Rolling hills, lakes, farmland, and giant fields of flowers in bloom. Like walking around in paradise. The hiking, though, was less than heavenly, since it involved literally following the wall up and down the hills it traces. But the views were worth the effort, and there was something extremely rewarding walking along a Roman wall built in 122 AD.

Along the way are old Roman mile houses, or small forts every Roman mile (which is shorter than our mile), and a little piece of cinematic history as well. In Robin Hood, the Kevin Costner one, the part where he and Morgan Freeman walk along a wall next to a giant sycamore was filmed on the wall, and this section, called Sycamore Gap, I walked right by. Beyond this was a beautiful lake and a nice section that went through a shaded wood. After this, the final stretch before I hit the actual Roman garrison town, was pretty intense, with a really steep climb and pretty intense heat (I'm horribly burned along the back of my neck).

The final stop, the garrison town was not worth the entrance fee, but did contain the best preserved Roman latrines in Europe. I'm glad that we get to use toilets. Finally made my way back to Durham, enjoying this last night in the city. Tomorrow I head into Scotland.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Up Against the WallUp Against the Wall
Up Against the Wall

The wall obviously was a lot taller back in 122. People have since used the stone for their own walls, and many of the nearby churches.
Mile FortMile Fort
Mile Fort

This one is called Castle Nick, because it sits in a nick of a crag.
Sycamore GapSycamore Gap
Sycamore Gap

Recognize this from the film?
Under the SycamoreUnder the Sycamore
Under the Sycamore

Nice to rest under because of the shade.
Beyond the SycamoreBeyond the Sycamore
Beyond the Sycamore

You climb a cliff and walk along this really pretty lake.
Wood by LakeWood by Lake
Wood by Lake

Then you enter a wood for maybe ten minutes or so.
Another ClimbAnother Climb
Another Climb

This climb was harder because the fatigue was starting to set in.
At the TopAt the Top
At the Top

View was worth the climb
Roman Latrines at HomesteadsRoman Latrines at Homesteads
Roman Latrines at Homesteads

You can still see the area where water flowed in the middle, and the soldiers would sponge themselves with it. And then pass the sponge to someone else!!!


8th July 2013

THE WALL......
RWas Hadrian a Roman Emperor ?..,and why was the wall built ?..Remember that Hamilton is a scottish name, and you may has family history in the area. Have a great time in Scotland, and don't gorget the "Deer Valley" region...Grandma and Grandpa
9th July 2013

The Wall
Hi Grandma and Grandpa, Hadrian was a Roman Emperor of the 2nd century AD, and the cool thing about the wall is that no one really knows for sure why it was built. To keep out the Picts in Scotland, some think, or maybe just to finally end the giant Empire. I'll keep an eye out for anything family related, and the big whiski (that's how they spell it here) I'll pass through on Thursday.

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb