Swanage


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Dorset » Swanage
January 15th 2011
Published: January 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

One of the most charming Victorian seaside resorts of Britain, i.e. Swanage is accessible by the bus from Poole and Wareham Station, or heritage railway line, i.e. Swanage Railway from Corfe Castle.

Swanage retains the feel of its original incarnation as a Victorian seaside resort. There are a number of grand and impressive Victorian buildings along the High Street such as Town Hall or Purbeck House Hotel. If you continue walking on the High Street and Church Hill, you will see the Millpond and Parish Church on the right hand. The Millpond is a picturesque corner that has changed very little over the centuries and is home to glebes, herons, and ducks, and they swim beside the lilacs and water lilies. The Parish Church is the place where the first settlement in the town began. The lower part of the church tower dates from the 13th century. The height of the tower was increased as the time went by. With its distinctive square shape, the tower of the church is recognisable from anywhere in the town.

Swanage is the birthplace for two celebrities. One of them is John Mowlem who was an English stonemason and builder, and founder of the quarrying and construction company. The other one is his business partner, George Butt, a public-works constructor and businessman who ran the construction company by the name of “Mowlem”. As well as Purbeck House and Town Hall, there are a number of buildings which are associated with these two people, such as John Mowlem House, Park Road Market, Wellington Tower, or Durlston Castle.

Strolling around the Old Pier, you will see the remains of the old rails of the narrow gauge railway, which were used for conveying shipping stones and horses by stone carts. There are wooden posts of the former pier remaining, which are visible from the New Pier, which is a newly restored Victorian Pier with numerous arcade shops and cafes, which has become an emblem of Swanage. Visitors can see views of Ballard Down, Old Harry Rocks, with Studland Bay and Poole Harbour to the north and with Durlston Bay and Durlston Country Park to the south from the pier.

Swanage possess a beautiful golden beach at the north east of the town and both residents and visitors can enjoy swimming and sun in summer.

Swanage Railway
After the Second World War, like many other seaside resorts in the UK, Swanage suffered a recession with few people able to spare the money for holidays. In 1972, the Swanage branch line of the railway was closed by British Rail as a part of larger network-wide cutbacks. Fortunately, a group of local enthusiasts formed a charitable organisation with the purpose of restoring and preserving the branch line and steam and diesel locomotives to run along it, forming the Swanage Railway.

Swanage is the terminal of Swanage Railway and it is located at the alight of the town centre. The heritage line’s station has the award-winning shop where visitors can find numerous types of gifts, e.g. accessories, books, printed matters, and clothes related to Swanage Railway and history of the old railway lines in Dorset and tea room serving delicious teas, coffee, and desserts.

The heritage line operates daily between Easter and September and weekends between November and March, and organises a wide range of events, e.g. Thomas the Tank Engine Ride, Christmas mince pies treat throughout the year. Their service is very popular to families with young children.

The locomotives and old-fashioned diesel cars travel through the lush countryside, e.g. Harman’s Cross, and take the passengers to Corfe Castle and Norden Park. There is an interesting railway museum, which houses the collections of lamps, station boards and plates, documents and letters, driver’s cars, and the model room of the old-fashioned ticketing office.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 58; dbt: 0.1118s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb