SWCP - Brixham to Kingswear


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon
May 5th 2022
Published: May 5th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Waking up to another sunny day, we were feeling lucky and grateful for all the good weather we had had this trip… and also very hot very quickly, as we hiked up to Berry’s Head out of Brixham. The coast path evened out a little for a short while and we enjoyed magnificent views across the water and of the undulating coastline ahead; mentally preparing us for our upcoming section of steep ups and downs.

And this is where I think I should mention a bit of kit that may seem a little nerdy and perhaps underrated by some: the trekking pole! Being able to have something to grip on to, both going up and down, really supports your legs and helps keeps your balance and is something we’d 100% recommend using (even if I am still learning the right techniques without stabbing my feet with them). And they really did help us today as we climbed up and scrambled down some very steep sections (like almost vertical!).

The path also felt quite varied today, with wooded sections, open fields, and rocky headlands to clamber over which we really enjoyed. Although still feeling surprisingly busy on the path, this section is much more rural again, and whilst this ruggedness is often what makes the path magical, it is worth noting there are no toilets/refreshment options between berry head and Brixham (other then if your willing to steeply curve off the path up to Coleton Fishacre - national trust cafe), so it is important to top up on bits beforehand; especially ensuring you have enough water to drink (thankfully we just about did).

Coming down into Kingswear, we were ready to stop and happy to have made it in time for the steam train (one we’d been hearing in the distance all day) back to Paignton, where we could then get the Gold bus back to Plymouth and home.

Our mini coastal adventure complete - or maybe just paused til the next section! ??


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0639s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb