SWCP - Teignmouth to Torquay


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon
May 3rd 2022
Published: May 3rd 2022
Edit Blog Post

Another ferry to start the day again, only this time the sun was shining and we had checked yesterday evening that it was running this time. We made sure we were there for the first one across to Shaldon, finding out that 10am actually means 10:20 Teignmouth time, but hey ho we weren’t rushing. It also meant we met and chatted to an older couple who turns out are also keen walkers, with the fella saying how he did the Penine way when he first retired and now hikes in Scotland every February with friends!

After the short but pleasant ride across the estuary, we began the trail straight off with…a steep hill climb! However, rewarded with a stunning view almost straight away, with the sun shining and clear skies ahead, and feeling warmed up and settled in from yesterdays walk, we felt ready and raring to go… and when we were up, we were up, and when we were down, we were down, and when we were only half way up we were huffing and puffing and dripping with sweat! Sunshine is lovely but it’s amazing how much heat can take it out of you, especially when walking on such an intensely undulating section of the coast! The views of sparkling sea and sweeping coastline just kept coming though, with pretty coves and beaches, and there were many wooded sections which gave welcomed shade. A little pit stop for one of the best frappes at Maidencombe (Rio’s cafe) also helped a lot, and, taking our time, we made it hill by hill all the way to Torquay (how the guidebook suggests most people do Shaldon to Brixham in one day I’ve no idea…you’d have to have no stops or enjoy any views which feels insane).

Anyway, after 22.79km and 856m of elevation, we checked into our bnb (The Norwood), showered and headed out for dinner. A good sleep needed tonight! ?


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0172s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb