Meet Prickles!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon » Newton Abbot
April 26th 2009
Published: November 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

PricklesPricklesPrickles

Prickly Ball Farm Hedgehog Hospital

Birthday Weekend in Cornwall & Devon 24th - 26th April, 2009



Rupesh and I are loving having our own place and being able to have visitors. On Easter Sunday, the Dornoms arrived - not Bern and Elizabeth but their parents and brother. Bern and Elizabeth were in their last weeks of work at the end of the ski season in France. Susan, Ian and Timothy spent a week with us in London before heading off on a road trip to southern England and then on to France to stay with the girls. We enjoyed having them stay but what I enjoyed even more was picking up on where the Bern & Elizabeth's genes came from! When Bern and Elizabeth travelled with mum and I they found it highly amusing to tell me how much like my mum I was! Now I had some amunition of my own! At the end of April when Bern and Elizabeth returned to London the Dornom numbers grew and it was definitely a full house for a few days!

Rupesh is an expert at planning surprises and he certainly planned an awesome weekend for my birthday. After work on the Friday we drove down to Fowey in Cornwall and camped on the coast in a paddock on a farm. It was a very wet and windy night. The following morning we drove in to the village of Fowey, a small fishing village. We spent the rest of the morning at the Eden Project at St. Austell in Devon. It had certainly grown since I had been there 2 years earlier with mum. Rupesh hadn't visited before and was amazed by the biomes and all the plants from around the world that were growing in them.

It was still rather wet so when we left the Eden Project we drove through Dartmoor National Park and found a hostel - Bellever YHA near Postbridge. There were a lot of walkers about in the National Park. It was a beautiful spot with lots of green rolling hills. We had dinner in a local pub in the warmth while all our wet stuff dried off at the hostel.

On Sunday we had a walk around the area surrounding the hostel and then drove to Newton Abbot. Rupesh knew that I'd never seen a hedgehog before so he had found the Prickly Ball Farm Hedgehog Hospital where I would definitely see a hedgehog. The Prickly Ball Farm had lots of animals including lambs, ferrets, gerbils, goats, chickens and chinchillas but the best part of the visit was listening to a talk on hedgehogs and then seeing one. Part of my birthday present was sponsoring a hedgehog which would pay for its food while it was in hospital. I sponsored Prickles who was found wandering on a nearby property and would not have survived hibernation had she not been taken to the hospital. She will return to the wilds of Devon when she is a bit bigger and stronger.

We drove back to London via Exteter to do a bit of birthday shopping. It was an awesome weekend and I was very pleased to have met Prickles.






Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Lou & RupeshLou & Rupesh
Lou & Rupesh

Dartmoor National Park
Bellever YHABellever YHA
Bellever YHA

Postbridge, Dartmoor National Park


Tot: 0.478s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 26; qc: 103; dbt: 0.1038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb