Changing seasons and new arrivals


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon » Holsworthy
April 5th 2013
Published: May 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The rayburnThe rayburnThe rayburn

This is used to cook and heat the water throughout the house, no electricity is used to heat or cook. We think we might invest in one of these, if the power goes out you'll still be able to cook and be warm!
On the first week we spent most mornings sawing firewood. AP's technique was exemplary and beat RM on the first morning 2 to 1 though RM got the hang of it the following day. They use the wood in the rayburn in the kitchen - cutting down on electric and gas bills. The wood provides a stove, and oven, a stand for heating/drying, hot water for washing, bathing and the radiator in the bathroom. It also keeps the kitchen warm. The first week we arrived was very cold - like midwinter, with the temperature falling below zero at night times. We had to have hot water bottles and extra blankets at night to keep ourselves warm.

We were ok, but on the first weekend we were here first we were joined by Lars, one of Diane's friends sons, who took the spare room for the weekend. Juanjo and Naarah arrived the following day from Spain and slept in the caravan. It was freezing in there and they struggled with cold - they'd never experience such coldness - until Lars left when they took the 2nd spare room.



The first week involved sawing a lot of wood for
JuanjoJuanjoJuanjo

Cool guy (:
the Rayburn, Rob explained due to the harsh weather they were already burning the wood saved for next winter.



As the second and the third week has gone on its become much warmer. It’s lovely being outdoors and feeling spring come into blossom, as the air warms, the colours brighten and more and more birds arrive. The smallholding has many native trees and bushes, attracting birds and other wildlife.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Us wwoofers Us wwoofers
Us wwoofers

Good times !


Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0577s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb