The orchard and the geese


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon » Holsworthy
April 3rd 2013
Published: May 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Over the course of our stay we have been reluctant to enter the orchard where the geese are, since on more than one occasion either AP or RM have legged it from the male goose! It is mating season so the male goose is pretty feisty in protecting its female and territory. Diana was bitten by, let’s call him Biff which left a nasty bruise so this was even more reason to keep out of his way.

The geese and chicken are kept in the orchard - the geese eat the tall grasses and the chicken the grasses the shorter ones, keeping the grass short without having to mow it, and giving you lots of eggs in the process! Though when you approach the gate to the orchard the female geese mweh mwehs at the Biff and he looks at you and gets very angry. He is big and strong and charges at the gate trying to poke his beak through the gate to attack you. He displays his massive wings to show you who's boss and generally makes lots of noise together with his missus to scare you away. Rob seems to be the only one who he doesn't have a go at!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb