Australia Day!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon » Exeter
January 26th 2009
Published: February 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

AUSTRALIA DAY





You didn't think we'd forget just because we weren't actually in the country did you? Quite the contrary, our sense of patriotism was inflated to such proportions that we started sprouting such phrases as 'you flamin hooligan' and 'you're a bloody galah' without the normal fear of social humiliation and disownership that normally follows such talk in the Great Land. Indeed, I have discovered that once abroad, 'Alf' from Home and Away actually becomes a bit of an icon, looked upon fondly and merticulously emulated with a sense of pride for his mastery of our great language.



I'll be honest - most Australia Day festivities that i have participated in are more to do with the fact that we get a paid day off work than the celebration of any anniversary. I, too, must guilty raise my hand in admitting that while I knew it was something relating to the 'discovery' of Australia, I wasn't sure as to the exact meaning of the 26th January (other than it is the opportunity to have a BBQ, go to the beach, and, did I mention, have a day off work.) Of couse it is the date, in 1788, that the 11 ships making up the First Fleet with Captain Arthur Phillip at the wheel, ended their 8 month journey arriving in Botany Bay to set up the penal colony, thereby proclaiming British rule over the great land down under. Yes, yes, this all rings a bell... albeit a tiny tiny bell, somewhere in the depths thanks to some wonderous teachings of grade 2 social studies... but to put two and two together, for me, took a 20 hour flight to the other side of the world....



So our night began at my fellow Australian workmate's house, Bronwyn, where we and several token Aussies (her very patient English friends) enjoyed a BBQ (be it indoors) to the sounds of the greatest Australian music, before heading out to the 'Australian' pub, Walkabout. Here we, just for the good fortune of being Aussies, were handed straw Fosters hats, and a Fosters Australian flag - which i gladly accepted even though i have never before had a Fosters and don't intent to in the near future.



The rest of the evening was spent in the way I am well accustomed to
The AussiesThe AussiesThe Aussies

Note the State of Origin game going on in the background.... what a great touch! Especially the scoreline!
celebrating Australia Day - sitting around, having a drink or two (of cider, still couldn't manage the beer), singing along loudly and badly to Australian tunes, and generally having a good ol'e chin wag. If only we had been a little warmer and surrounded by a few million flies and it would have almost been like we were back home...!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb