A walk along River Teign & Fingle Bridge


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon » Dartmoor
July 17th 2008
Published: July 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It was a nice evening when we all set off to spend sometime surrounded by the peaceful nature around Fingle Bridge and Drewton woods. With a choice of routes the walk along the River Teign gave a chance to admire a spectacular scenic view down the Teign Gorge.

Fingle Bridge, its very name sounds like something straight from the pages of a fable story, does it not conjure up images of woodland spirits, or witchcraft?

I was so curious to find the history behind the name of fingle Bridge which finally led me to spend sometime on the internet searching for a clue. I was not entirely satisfied yet but this passage gave me a kind relief for my utter inquisitiveness.

With regards the name Fingle, this is the name of a stream that rises on Whiddon Down and then moves down to join the river Teign at Fingle Bridge.

Back in 1893, John Lloyd Warden Page published the following description of Fingle Bridge:

"... the ancient bridge, so narrow that only one cart at a time can pass over it, and the wayfarer caught thereby must retire into one of the triangular recesses, the continuation upwards of the sharp buttresses that divide the hurrying waters. A sweet spot, though somewhat sad toward eventide, when the 'cry' of the river sound mournful on the darkening atmosphere".

He must have been having a bad day when he penned the above lines because later, in 1895, Page waxes positively waxed lyrical about Fingle Bridge:

"How clear the rushing waters gliding beneath the three gray arches! how rich in colouring have the lichens and ferns rendered its hoary walls! and, whether we look up-stream to the hills, softly meeting one another with foliage changing from bright green in the foreground to misty blue in the distance, or downward to where the old mill with its moss-grown water-wheel, nestles beneath the woods, and Prestonbury rises mountainous over all, we shall confess that a scene of greater beauty it has never been our lot to view". (Courtesy of Legendary -Dartmoor)

We began our walk from a side of Fingle Bridge which is close to the Fingle Bridge Inn. The path took us along the river Teign sometimes moved into woodlands. It was a pleasant walk, we all enjoyed and I heard both from Tim and Ceri that they used to take their children here when they were little. How amazing had it been those days?

We walked up to the New Bridge over river Teing. The whole woodland quickly become so dark and it was the time to run breathlessly to the parked car near the bridge. I was not impressed myself to find that I was the weakest among three of us. When we reached the parked car, I could hardly keep my knees straight. I was very careful not to show anyone, that I was breathless.

On the way back, I had my first Fish & Chips from a well-known local restaurant. Another day was over & another weekend has come so quickly.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb