The Tavistock Inn at Poundsgate, Dartmoor


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon » Dartmoor
August 4th 2018
Published: August 4th 2018
Edit Blog Post

There are many great Dartmoor pubs. The Tavistock at Poundsgate is one of my favourites. It is in "the middle of nowhere" with hardly a house in sight, but has great atmosphere and the parking lot across the road is often full with people coming from near and far.
It has its roots from the 14th century and you feel little has changed over the years. The thick stone walls and the low, beamed roof certainly would have some stories to tell if they could speak. Today Dartmoor feels remote and sparsely populated, but a few hundred years ago there was a large tin-mining industry on the moor and the tin was transported on horseback down the steep hills towards the coast. The Tavistock probably has its name from being half way between Tavistock and Totnes - the closest navigable town on the River Dart. I would guess it has served as a resting point for men and horses.
Today it is a quiet, but still lively and busy pub. No music, no fruit machine, just people talking, not on their mobile phones, but with real people, as there is no network at the pub. Food is served and there is seating outdoors , both on the terrace in front and the garden in the back
To find The Tavistock you need to navigate steep, narrow roads from Two Bridges. Going towards Ashburton your car cannot be wider than 6 feet - otherwise you will not get across the very narrow, but very solid old stone bridge.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb