The Pilchard Inn on Burgh Island


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon » Bigbury
July 21st 2018
Published: July 21st 2018
Edit Blog Post

Burgh Island has always fascinated me. Island are few in the U.K. and an island that is connected to the mainland at low tide and is a true island at high tide is really something special - even to a Norwegian who lives in a country with thousands of islands.

Burgh Island is off Bigbury-on-sea, and the walk across the tidal "Beach" is about 300 yards. if the tide is high, there is a very special kind of bus/taxi - the Sea-Tractor, a monster machine that can carry 30 passengers at daytime and 20 when it is dark. Riding on top of this strange vehicle makes you feel you are in different world. The ride is 2 pounds per person each way.

But my blog is about pubs, and on Burgh Island you find The Pilchard Inn With roots back to 1336. No Wonder it takes its name from the fish that was the Source of income for the people here even in the middle ages. Actually, here was one of the first examples of "over-fishing", as the fishing sometimes was extremely successful.

There are two separate bars, but you can look across the service area into the other one. The inside holds a lot of atmosphere with old furniture, low ceilings and thick stone walls. There is a good selction of ales and if you porefer lagers, there is a limited choice between Stella Artois and Becks Vier. I guess there is room for about 50 - 60 persons inside, but there are plenty of seating outdoors on the terrace where you can enjoy the sight of the coastline, the Beach and at high tide - the sea-tractor.

If you are in need of excersise, there is the possibility to walk to the top of the hill where you will find a hut with more information about the island and the buildings, the Fishing and the situation during World War Two.

The only other building on the Island is the Art Deco hotel built in the 1930's and had a lot of famous visitors including The Duke of Windsor, Wallis Simpson and Agatha Christie - and the island really looks like it sould be the Perfect background for an Agatha Christie novel.

If you are in the area, the island is well worth a visit. There is a lot of parking Space for a low fee, but for foreign drivers the narrow Devon road from the main road might be a little challenging!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



26th July 2018

Nice blog.
That is one place I should like to visit, great write up about it.

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb