Nothing 2 pints of cider and a fish stew won’t fix


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon » Combe Martin
August 19th 2022
Published: August 19th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Brutal day but spectacular. Some (too many) very steep and quite long ascents meant the pace was pretty slow although surprisingly in line with the guide book recommendations. There’s an instant replay tomorrow with similar distances and similar ascents so this may be my final blog (PS Jake can have my golf clubs). Thank goodness for 2 pints of cider and a fish stew.

Again there will be more photos than text but there haven’t been too many grumbles about that.

Thanks Francis for getting us the our start at Lynton this morning. It was important that the luggage be dropped at a BnB address prior to 9 o’clock. That done Francis was again good enough to take us to the SWCP path. Our final chance to bail out was dismissed without thought, we had chocolate digestive biscuits so nothing could hurt us. The initial sections are beautiful and deceptively sedate. Gentle rolling hills and lush green growth bordered by the Atlantic omnipresent to the right made for a delightful start. It gets hilly. There are more ups and downs here than a brothel’s bed spring! The path to Great Hangman Hill from Woody Bay is particularly savage and has some BIG sections and when you’ve already covered 15 km or so it was not a pleasant surprise. The fact distances are measured in miles is also quite off putting. A mile seems so much further!

Combe Marin has a fair and parade on tomorrow and biggish wedding today so the place is busy and everyone is in jolly mood. The pub was awash with Welsh wedding guests and the groom (Gareth) and several guests are our new best friends.

Must get prepared for tomorrow so it’s Caio for now.

Don’t forget there are 30 odd photos with this post.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.242s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb