Day 5 - Devon


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon » Barnstaple
July 24th 2011
Published: July 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Had a bit of a sleep in this morning which was great because I haven’t had much of a chance to get sleep in the first week I have been here! We set off mid-morning and checked out some of the towns that are dotted along the coast.

As it is the start of the summer school holidays over here the roads were pretty packed with holiday makers but it was at least good to be around local tourists than the thousands of fat Americans that flood the streets of London.

We headed for lunch at Great Torrington which was apparently a scene of a massive battle in medieval times. Parts of the orginal keep still remain as do many of the town buildings, except for the ones around the church. Turns out they used the church as the gunpowder store which was a great idea until the church blew up, taking about a quarter of the town with it! Lunch was a traditional English Sunday roast, wouldn’t think it would be easy to cock up a roast but they did! At least the atmosphere in the pub (which was about 500 years old!) was fantastic.

After lunch we headed to Bideford where they were holding a water sport festival. There were heaps of stalls and music along the quay, but someone forgot to turn on the sunshine! From there it was onto Westward Ho!, a popular holiday spot for poms, and also the only place in europe to have a ! as part of its name. Claire showed me the old apartment she used to live in, and told me the apartment four doors down was where Jungle Book was written, pretty cool hey! As the weather was dodgy we headed for the arcade which was heaps of fun, and a lot cheaper than back home.

For dinner we headed down to Woolacombe, where we got the staple English dinner, fish and chips and ate it by the seaside, in the fog!

Overall a fun time had today, weather was a bit dodgy, but hopefully will be better when I come back in a couple of weeks time!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb