The Duke in Dressage


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Derbyshire
July 15th 2005
Published: January 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today was dressage for the pony pairs and the four-in-hands. Among the competitors for Great Britain was HRH Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh. The Duke is credited as a major force in the design of combined driving as it is known today, and has done much to promote the sport. We were able to snap a good number of photos as he guided the Queen's Balmoral ponies through the dressage course.

We visited the food exhibition and were able to taste and purchase some of the items for later consumption at our hotel. Among the items were pork pies from Melton Mowbray, sold by a fellow who wore the famous pork pie hat. Apparently these pies have been eaten for centuries by hunters because they kept well and were easy to pack. There was a large cheese exhibit (including delicious Stilton), a celtic spirits booth (yeah, some of that came home with us!), and a tea vendor called Copeland & Shaw, from whom we still buy Earl Grey Blue Lady via the internet. One of our favorite vendors was the wagon selling "frozen mushy peas" - I am sure that kids here at home would be lining right up for those! There was more types of food in one place than you could imagine, and it was a very fun day for us, as we consider ourselves to be quite the foodies!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Ready for his close-upReady for his close-up
Ready for his close-up

Well maybe not.....
Shetland Four-in-HandShetland Four-in-Hand
Shetland Four-in-Hand

These ponies were adorable.


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 51; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb