Visit to Padstow from Newquay


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall » Padstow
October 16th 2022
Published: October 16th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Land trainLand trainLand train

We did not get on; but saw this train at sightseeing spots in Newquay.
We planned to visit Padstow by bus on 21st September. The hotelier also said good things about the bus. Mark had checked the bus timetable and we were to take the bus from near our hotel.

I had written postcards for two people in Japan; we went to the post office before catching the bus. I was a little surprised that postage fees have been risen quite a lot.

We took the 10:39 open Decker bus for Padstow. The friendly bus driver did complimentary guide for passengers through the journey, although he had to drive through narrow, winding paths from time to time. The bus went through Porth Beach, Watergate Bay & Beach and Porthcothen Bay.

We popped in the tourist information centre after getting off the bus. I found the leaflet of ‘historic trail’ in Padstow and asked Mark to follow the route. It was lunch time when we arrived into Padstow. While strolling through the quay, I found the stall selling fresh crab sandwiches and seafood salad. We both chose the seafood salad containing prawns, mussels, cockels and whelks – very healthy lunch. We remembered the quay, riding boat for Rock with my mother in 2005.
Newquay-Padstow sightseeing busNewquay-Padstow sightseeing busNewquay-Padstow sightseeing bus

This bus is popular with tourists; we got on 21st September.
Shops around the quay looked quite busy in the lunchtime.

Following the trail, we walked uphill on Mill Road and rambled through the woodland path called ‘The Saint Way’ – the Cornwall’s oldest walking course. We looked round St Petroc Church and its ground and headed for Prideaux Place. The house was open. We were more interested in a group of fallow deer in the lush park in front of the house.

We then walked down to the harbour via Fentonluna Lane and Duke Street and walked past the former Almshouse. I did a bit of shopping for myself in Padstow and we had cream tea near the harbour. It was a long time since we had had cream tea.

Afterwards, we walked on the coastal path from North Quay. It was great to see the Camel Estuary, boats running between Padstow and Rock and Rock harbour from the view point. This walk reminded us of the time we visited with my mother.

We took the 16.00 bus and arrived at Newquay just after 5pm.



We had cream tea in the late afternoon; so we decided to go to the restaurant just after 6.30. Mark found the Portuguese Restaurant previous day and we decided to go there for dinner on 21 September.

We reached the restaurant just after 6:45; found the restaurant was quite atmospheric as it was decorated with vintage Portuguese wine bottles and posters. Mark had pork ribs and I ordered crab pastry and apple cider. My crab pastry was delicious – it contained various fish and vegetables and flavours and I felt the dish could have demonstrated for cooking contests. Mark enjoyed his pork ribs too.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

The Saint WayThe Saint Way
The Saint Way

This is the oldest walking course in Cornwall


Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 59; dbt: 0.1198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb